• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gps mount for a 1999 R1100rt

turan9510

I just purchased a garmin nuvi 205 for my 1999 R1100RT. I'm looking for suggestions on what mount etc would work best and of course where to go for the best price. You can e-mail me at turan9510@yahoo.com if you like. Thanks

Keith

I just purchased a garmin nuvi 205 for my 1999 R1100RT. I'm looking for suggestions on what mount etc would work best and of course where to go for the best price. You can e-mail me at turan9510@yahoo.com if you like. Thanks

Keith

They make a good cradle for that unit. And a RAM ball that fits. I got mine from Cycle Gadgets (which was just forced to close due to the economy) so you will need to find a good source of RAM products. There are several out there.

Keith
Hi Keith, welcome to the forum. I added your bike year and model to the title as that will help attract attention to your question. Over in the gear section there are some nice, informative threads if you happen to need a little more info on the whole gps subject. Have fun, Gary

Keith, I used to have a 99RT and I mounted a Ram ball mount to my acc. shelf. I then mounted my Zumo GPS to it. Here's a pic of the shelf . The Ram mount went where the Radar Detector is in the picture.

Attachments

• DSCN2030.jpg
    DSCN2030.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 446
I used the RAM Mounts site Motorcycle Mount Wizard found here:
http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx

It says your bike year and model needs these two RAM mount parts:
RAM-HOL-GA24U (This is the cradle) Details here:
http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045071065050052085/Default.aspx

RAM-B-179U (This is the mount bracket, arm, diamond ball and hardware kit)
Details here: http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049055057085/Default.aspx

You'll end up with a nice clean setup that looks like this, but with a shorter arm:
P1010239.jpg

This photo shows my setup on my last bike, a 96 R1100RT. The arm it comes with is a bit shorter; around 4 inches long I think. I like the longer arm as it raises the unit a bit higher and allows more adjustment to the right which for me (short guy) gives me better left rear view visibility. The whole thing attaches with one bolt to your vacant left upright mirror hole. I've seen some mounted in the middle too using the same bracket. You can buy the mounting bracket base, the arm and the diamond ball base for the cradle all seperately if you want a longer arm. The RAM site has endless possibilities!

I recently bought a RAM mount and cradle from mountguys.com. It arrived quick, and their website was good. Lots of info. Select bike and gps model and it will give you suggestions as to what fits, compatible pieces, etc.
Reasonably priced too.

Here in Holland there is a shop that had some custom solutions made for them which they sell. Maybe you can get this in the US too. Check out their website.

For the R1100RT, it looks like this:
r1100rt2.jpg

r1100rt1.jpg

Not shown in the picture are special shock absorbing screws; they have a bit of rubber in the middle, so the Garmin cradle (that is supplied with the navigator) can be mounted totally isolated from the metal.

I had a BMW Navigator III (Gamin 2820) and now I have a Z??mo 660 and I only had to use different sized screws. This solution is the nicest I've seen. The Navigator is exactly above your speedo and you don't need to adjust your vision as it's in the same plane. It looks good and works perfectly. I did trips on very bad roads with it and the Navigator III didn't miss a beat. It didn't come off or anything.

Here in Holland there is a shop that had some custom solutions made for them which they sell. Maybe you can get this in the US too. Check out their website.

For the R1100RT, it looks like this:
r1100rt2.jpg

r1100rt1.jpg

Not shown in the picture are special shock absorbing screws; they have a bit of rubber in the middle, so the Garmin cradle (that is supplied with the navigator) can be mounted totally isolated from the metal.

I had a BMW Navigator III (Gamin 2820) and now I have a Z??mo 660 and I only had to use different sized screws. This solution is the nicest I've seen. The Navigator is exactly above your speedo and you don't need to adjust your vision as it's in the same plane. It looks good and works perfectly. I did trips on very bad roads with it and the Navigator III didn't miss a beat. It didn't come off or anything.

Hi Mike- I checked out the site and I like the ram mount for my R1150RT. Can you convert the price for me?

Prijs: Ôé¼ 85,-

Meerprijs bij een motorkit: Ôé¼ 75,-
(ipv RAM-mount)

Hi Mike- I checked out the site and I like the ram mount for my R1150RT. Can you convert the price for me?

Prijs: Ôé¼ 85,-
According to the UCC 85 Euros is something like $117.

It is indeed a nice solution. In case you missed the info on that page, here's the translation of the features of that mount:

• made of black anodised aluminum
  • delivered with one 1" RAM ball, on which you can mount any device with a RAM mount.
  • a maximum of three 1" RAM balls can be installed om this mount, so you can have several devices next to each other.
  • extra 1" RAM balls are available seperately
  • possibilities with the RAM mounts are almost endless: mobile phones, mp3 players, radar detectors, camera's, GPS
  • the mount is installed on the existing holes, 3 point attachment, no drilling, super stable
  • leaves no trace if you take the mount off the bike
  • installation in 5 minutes

According to the UCC 85 Euros is something like $117.

It is indeed a nice solution. In case you missed the info on that page, here's the translation of the features of that mount:

• made of black anodised aluminum
  • delivered with one 1" RAM ball, on which you can mount any device with a RAM mount.
  • a maximum of three 1" RAM balls can be installed om this mount, so you can have several devices next to each other.
  • extra 1" RAM balls are available seperately
  • possibilities with the RAM mounts are almost endless: mobile phones, mp3 players, radar detectors, camera's, GPS
  • the mount is installed on the existing holes, 3 point attachment, no drilling, super stable
  • leaves no trace if you take the mount off the bike
  • installation in 5 minutes

It's a little more than I wanted to spend but for the option of three devices I guess it's not to bad. I sent an email to sales, I just hope they reply in english as my Dutch is a little rusty.

What's you translator fee:wave

It's a little more than I wanted to spend but for the option of three devices I guess it's not to bad. I sent an email to sales, I just hope they reply in english as my Dutch is a little rusty.

What's you translator fee:wave
I don't know if they ship to the US. If they charge a lot, let me know. Maybe we can work something out. Shipment to the US through the regular postal services is something like $27 as far as I can see. Insured and such is more obviously.

I don't know if they ship to the US. If they charge a lot, let me know. Maybe we can work something out. Shipment to the US through the regular postal services is something like $27 as far as I can see. Insured and such is more obviously.

Hey Mike, you were right. They don't ship to the US and I wasn't going to wait untill next year for you to hand deliver one to me. So I looked around and found this place
http://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=7

which does ship here. Thanks for the help and I'll take some pic's and post here.

Hey Mike, you were right. They don't ship to the US and I wasn't going to wait untill next year for you to hand deliver one to me. So I looked around and found this place

which does ship here. Thanks for the help and I'll take some pic's and post here.
I believe that is the original manufacterer of that contraption. The price sounds reasonable. Good luck with it;glad to be of help.

Paul, I think you will like the Migsel unit. I have it on my R1150RTP and the three hard mount points are nice. It attaches pretty solidly to the console. I have a Garmin 478, iPod, and sometimes and vid camera. It gets a bit crowded with three devices attached, so I usually mount only two at a time. It helps to be able to see the instruments below it that way. Best of luck!

GPS Mounrt

Thanks to all who posted ideas! It has made my selection a lot easier! I do have another question. What kind of Power cord to I need to power the gps fro the outlet on the bike?? Thanks in advance

Paul, I think you will like the Migsel unit. I have it on my R1150RTP and the three hard mount points are nice. It attaches pretty solidly to the console. I have a Garmin 478, iPod, and sometimes and vid camera. It gets a bit crowded with three devices attached, so I usually mount only two at a time. It helps to be able to see the instruments below it that way. Best of luck!

OK, I got the Migsel unit mounted and it looks good. I was worried if it would obstruct the guages but it doesn't seem so. I ordered my Zumo 660 yesterday and I'm going to see what accessories it comes with before I order anything else.

I gotta get everything tweeked in before a micro-run up to VA in May.

Thanks to all who posted ideas! It has made my selection a lot easier! I do have another question. What kind of Power cord to I need to power the gps fro the outlet on the bike?? Thanks in advance

That's my last hurdle...power. Reviews say the 660 will hold a 5-7 hr charge. I did buy a powerlet (BMW plug) to standard (US accessory) cable addapter but I don't really want the cable flapping all over the place if I need to charge it. It looks like the 205 may be able to use 660 mount
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-11270-03-Motorcycle-Mount/dp/B001PO6JD2/ref=pd_sim_e_1
at least the plug looks the same but the other cables (headphone) might be extra (didn't spec the 205). I'm looking into adding a standard power port somewhere, just hadn't figured out where yet.

Back