• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New 2011 R1200RT Audio/Bluetooth Option

I got my 2011 RT before January with the radio setup. Anyone know what is involved to update my bike the to later Sirius Satellite radio capability? I am thinking most of the satellite radio is already built into the radio module.
Anyone actually do the Sirius radio upgrade?

A footnote on page 3 of the 2011 R1200RT brochure states that machines not factory-equipped with Sirius cannot be upgraded.

Thanks Steve for that update. Not what I wanted to hear, but thats the way it is. I am glad the iPod works well and the Bluetooth plays well with my Sena.

Thanks for the note Jim. My 600 mile service comes in two weeks, and I will be seeking advice from the dealer on the volume and connection issues. I wasn't blessed with a lot of patience in dealing with technology issues, so I have a feeling I'll be hard wiring the audio. I just want to listen to audio in comfort, and the hard wire is not a big deal to me.....I'll follow up with how things go.

Scala G4 with XM radio on Iphone

I have the 2011 R1200RT, but the bike does not have XM radio. It does have the BMW audio and bluetooth function. I also have the Scala G4. I ordered the BMW cable ($75) that connects to my Iphone (unlimited data plan). Since I already have XM radio in my car, I ordered the internet radio subscription from XM as an add-on feature, which is much cheaper than a full XM subscription. I paired my Iphone to to G4. I downloaded the XM Iphone App. Now that AT&T bought Altel, my data connection "bars" have dramatically increased and I can drive just about anywhere listening to XM radio from my Iphone being transmitted to my G4, and it costs a lot less than a satelite XM subscription. For kicks, I have been connecting my Iphone to my Subaru Outbacks bluetooth connection and playing XM from my Iphone through my car speakers. To my surprise, the sound quality from my Iphone XM App is noticeably better than the XM sound quality coming from the Subaru factory XM system in my car and the XM App only lost the signal one time for a few seconds in a drive from Minneapolis to Duluth. The added benefit of the XM App is I can plug my Iphone in at my office or at home to any of the Iphone charger/speaker devices (Bose) and get outstanding sound quality over my wifi system (home) or the device's radio (work). If I don't want XM while on the bike, I just play music from my Iphone through the BMW connector I bought. I shelfed my Arai Corsair and bought a Nexx XR1R carbon full face helmet that has pockets in which the G4 speakers fit into -- the sound quality in the G4 is MUCH better in the new Nexx and the Nexx is also a much quieter helmet because of added padding. I went from having the G4 on medium volume to low volume because I can hear that much better.

Blue tooth r1200rt

I purchased a 2012 bmw r1200rt in the spring of 2012. The bike has the optional xm radio with blue tooth. I ran the blue tooth though my N-com audio system in my helmut with very poor sound quality. At the dealer's recomendation I purchased a new Sena head set. Now, I have $1500 wrapped up in a radio not worth listening to. My cell phone offers excellent sound quality. I did not want to use up my cell battery touring, thats why I purchased the Blue tooth audio system. I am getting No satisfaction from the dealer. I am really disappointed and yes I can spell HONDA

Now, I have $1500 wrapped up in a radio not worth listening to.
What's the issue? I get excellent sound out of the R1200RT with Sena SMH10 and Shure E3C earbuds. I do recommend turning down the Bass on the RT's radio to fix _thier_ transmission issues.
I did not want to use up my cell battery touring
Something wrong with a charger?

sena blue tooth

Well mine sounds like a $5 AM radio. I have 2 very good Blue tooth headsets. It is not the headset. I would not buy the radio option again, if I need to use my phone for a radio. BMW knows it is a problem. They just have not addressed it.

I have a 2010 RT with all options except the radio system. I currently use a Sena SMH10 and a Samsung P3 bluetooth 8G MP3 player for my music source. This works like a champ.

My question is; How much $$ and effort would it take to add the new bluetooth system from a 2011-2012... model RT to my 2010 RT?

It would seem as though the new system might work very well with my Sena but it might be too expensive. I'm retiring in May of 2013 and plan on a long 10K+ ride around this great country as a gift to myself. I'd like to be able to have music and such wirelessly and not have to charge my music source every day.

I don't pair my phone to the Sena, only music. My choice for a GPS will most likely be a Garmin Nuvi 550.

Well mine sounds like a $5 AM radio. I have 2 very good Blue tooth headsets. It is not the headset. I would not buy the radio option again, if I need to use my phone for a radio. BMW knows it is a problem. They just have not addressed it.

I had the same problem when I first paired my Sena SMH10 to the radio. The sound quality sounded like crap! Then I played around with the bass and treble settings. When playing the radio through the speakers I had them turned up. If you do that through the Bluetooth setup, guess what? It sounds like crap! Set your bass and treble back to mid way or less and the sound via Bluetooth becomes wonderful.

Back