• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1993 K1100LT - ABS I or ABS II

ABS I OR ABS II? and other issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can someone inform me if my 1993 K1100LT is ABS I or ABS II?

I'm having intermittent ABS issues and have reset the ABS with the #2 pin to ground and ABS switch/Key on method but after some indetermined amount of time/riding (hours or many miles) the ABS quits, lights flash, etc.

I've done the #2 Pin pulse test with a little LED from the auto store and the light goes from solid light - 2 pulses - solid illumination and repeats. But I believe I need to know if I have ABS I or ABS II to read the code correctly.

Recently had the leaking rear master cylinder rebuilt and thought it could be related, so I purged out a couple of air bubbles from the top of the modulator. This did not seem to help the action described next.

When the ABS lights are not on (appearing to be functional), I've tested hard rear braking and it will pulse hard and jerk the bike terribly. Nothing smooth about the stopping action-actually easy to lose control of the bike. Not what a working ABS should behave like.

Please feel free to enlighten me!
Thank you!
gmenglhart@aol.com

ABS 1 has a "bean can" sized modulator near each passenger footpeg. ABS 2 has them internal somewhere.

I have ABS1 and it cycles slowly(jerks). Normal.

Yes - bean can size modulators. And ABS 1 jerking is normal - dang that's scary! Guess I've never needed it to actuate.
Thanks for the info.

So now to find out what 2 pulse code from the ABS #2 Pin describes.

Thanks Ron, I have copied the troubleshooting info from ibmwr.org but I've procrastinated a bit with digging into the problem. Not excited about messing with the modulator/relay but will get to it sometime.

Back