• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What kind of oil do you use?

It's the 21st century--why would anyone use anything but synthetic?

Even Castrol thinks you need to have hair like and dress like somebody from the 1970s to associate with their dino oil.

...one of the most controversial questions...hlothery

It's so controversial that Porsche guru Steve Weiner will not make oil recommendations except privately, to his clients.

But Irv Gordon, who owns the famous 2,300,000 mile Volvo P 1800, uses dino oil.

Engine oil in the engine, gear oil in transmission and final drive, fork oil in the forks :wave

I used a case of semi synth but found myself resorting to dino. Mainly cos of the price, I can practically get 3 quarts of dino for the price of one quart of the semi-synth.

For the tranny I do use Belray synth, since we busted it open to replace the bearings and now have new seals in place.

Depends on the bike.

R1200C and R850R get Honda HP4 semi-synth w/o moly.
Airheads get Castrol.
F650's have the BMW oil in them, going to use up the last of the case, then switch to the Honda oil.

Trans and final drives in all of them get Red Line heavy duty shockproof gear oil. Well, except for the GS's, the chains get duPont teflon chain lube.

Castrol Dino 20W50. I tried synthetic Mobil 1 in an older K bike and my old airhead. They both started seeping oil at the old hardened seals. changed back to dino and the leaking stopped. 12 years later, the airhead still doesn't leak (sold the K bike). At my age, both of my bikes will outlast me using dino oil.

Even Castrol thinks you need to have hair like and dress like somebody from the 1970s to associate with their dino oil.

Darryl's RS seems to be doing reasonably well with dino.

Because conventional oil is good enough for me. I have used 20W50 conventional oil (Shell, Valvoline, Castrol, whatever) for over 20 years in airheads and have never had any lubrication related problem, even in 100 degree Texas heat.

Maybe newer bikes could benefit from synthetics due to running hotter because of emissions regulations but until I am convinced that synthetics are worth the higher cost I will stay with conventional oil.

i'm not sure i ever heard of...

...a problem with any motorcycle or auto engine that was caused by using a specific type of oil.

I'm curious to know what members are using in their bikes........regular or synthetic oil.

Crossfire

I responded to your post on the Pocono's Rally, Darryl and I will be there with our RED 1977 R100RS with 484,000 miles (on regular oil) pulling a RED bushtec trailer. We will be in Cabin 2. When passing by please introduce yourself to us.

Darryl and Terry

Castrol or BMW Dino Motorcycle oil in the engines, automobile oil does not have enough moly and zinc content anymore for modern motorcycle engines.

Synthetic gear oil for gears. Not much more money and not changed that often.

Scott

These oil threads never end well. :fight

Crossfire

I responded to your post on the Pocono's Rally, Darryl and I will be there with our RED 1977 R100RS with 484,000 miles (on regular oil) pulling a RED bushtec trailer. We will be in Cabin 2. When passing by please introduce yourself to us.

Darryl and Terry

Will do. Looking forward to to the rally. :wave

I just put Mobile 1 synthetic in my K75RT, first time I've ever used anything but
Dino oil. Wal -Mart has it in the 5 quart container for $21.00. Never had any
problems with regular oil.

Valvoline 100% (or so they claim) synthetic 20/50 in 1200rt engine and Valvoline 75/90 synthetic gear oil in final drive and tranny. Extra virgin olive oil on salads, 10/30 dino in SAAB transmissions Mobil 1 in their engines every six months. Over 400,000 miles on SAAB turbo with Mobil 1 and never a problem. I'd use Mobil 1 in my bike engine but can't find it in anything approaching fifty weight as in 20/50.

Back