• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 1200RT Crash Bars

BMW Aluminum Guards

I mounted these on my 2010 RT and they went on easy. They are attached by 3 6mm bolts into threaded holes in the cylinders. These holes are meant to mount the guards. In any kind of sever crash these are likely to shear off causing no damage to the engine. They are rubber lined and intended for a soft crash of some kind, but way better then nothing.

I'm still trying to figure how to mount a set of hwy pegs to the bike now that I have mounted these guards. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I'm thinking of making a bracket off the guards to hold the pegs. My dealer thinks this will work fine if I can mount to at least two of the bolt holes.

So I have some W bars now and will give it a shot.

Step 1. screw the 6x10mm set screws into the upper cross bar. Had to get out the tap kit and clean out the nuts on the bar before I could do that.... Sheesh.

Step 2. Um, I can't find the bolt hole for the left side of the upper cross bar. Right side was simple. Am I supposed to take a bolt out and replace it? Anyone have any pics of the mount site? Help?!?!?

Thanks

Mounting W's

You will need to remove the bolt that is an anchor point for some wire/hose guide. I don't have a picture, but there are only two it could be, and one of them is way too big.

Just finished installing mine. Damn was it tight! I had a heck of a time getting the right bar installed. Got it, but it was a real pain.

I thought that was what I was going to have to do, but I wanted to hear it from someone else... :) Thanks! So did you replace the bolt that was holding the hoses with the new bolt from Wunderlich or reuse the bolt that was there?

Used the bolt wunder supplied. It is a longer bolt which you will need as there is a spaced built into the flange on that side.

Back