• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100 GS/PD Classic questions

JMOOREOU

Couple of questions about the GS/PD Classic model. My '95 does not have any graphics on the (plastic) tank. I have seen others that have "R100/GS" graphics on the tank. Is this because my tank was painted at some time, or were there some models that did not have the graphics on the tank? Is it possible to buy the graphics somewhere? Can someone tell me how many of the "Classic" models were produced? My bike has the Metzler Tourance tires and it tends to "wobble" back and forth at 70 - 80 mph. Acts like it might be about to produce a tank slapper, but it never does. I had an 89 R100 GS Bumblebee with Avon Gripster tires and I noticed on my last road trip on that model that it started doing the same thing. First time I ever noticed that symptom on the '89. Is this due to a worn front tire? Also, the '95 rear sub frame (where the seat is attached) is bent to the right when viewed from behind. The bike appears to have been dropped at speed on the left side due to a flat spot on the left engine guard. This is the only clue that I have that it was dropped. Can this sub frame be easily aligned? I have a new part that is a bolt/rubber gromet that attaches the exhaust pipe to the rear mount (on the sub frame), but it isn't long enough to reach due to the frame being bent to the right. Thanks in advance for any information on my new toy. I really like the looks of the Classic model and I plan to get mine back into top condition over time. I would like to establish a dialogue with someone knowledgable about this specific model. Thanks again.

One more question. This bike (unlike my other GS) will sometimes (infrequently) "bog" at highway speeds - 70+ mph. It never totally quits, it just acts like it is starving for fuel. This normally lasts just a few seconds and then the symptom goes away. If I'm in tha passing lane, I have to quickly get back over because I can't maintain passing speed while this is happening. I have read that this MIGHT be caused by crud in the tank. I have not pulled the petcocks yet, but I was thinking about doing this. This is an intermittent and infrequent problem. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Airhead GS's and PD's are cool :thumb

My '95 does not have any graphics on the (plastic) tank. I have seen others that have "R100/GS" graphics on the tank. Is this because my tank was painted at some time, or were there some models that did not have the graphics on the tank?

Very well likely had an accident.

Is this because my tank was painted at some time, or were there some models that did not have the graphics on the tank? Is it possible to buy the graphics somewhere?

Sounds like it to me. Yes Chicago BMW parts can get just about anything,ask for Mark, (I've been bothering him for the last year for parts for my GS :D )

Can someone tell me how many of the "Classic" models were produced?

Some of the best BMW airhead GS knowledge answers can be found at
UKGS'er.com. I frequent that site too, and have had many questions answered by their resident "GS Guru's" who do nothing but live,eat,breath airhead GS's.
They will tell you more than you need to really know or care. :dunno

According to my European friends,the Airhead GS is the most popular and sort after bike in Europe and Asia.

Tourance tires are probably the best "on road/off road" mix tires for a GS. But there are tires made for more aggressive offroad rides. Depends on what kind of riding you choose to do,and how you setup your bike.

Yep,sounds like your scoot has been in an accident. I can literally take my hands off the handle bars at 80+ mph and she goes as straight as an arrow.
That rubber bolt should attach the muffler to the frame. Sub frames can be straightened but buying new is probably the best thing to do.
Airhead GS parts are still easily found.
The bog problem could be many different things. A couple easy checks before tearing them down would be to check pet cocks for clogged screens,clogged external fuel filters if installed, and the gas cap vent. Make sure the vent is free, you can blow through it.

Below are some more GS related sites for info and parts.

Advrider.com American based
IBMWR.com American based
UKGS'er.com England/Europe

According to my European friends,the Airhead GS is the most popular and sort after bike in Europe and Asia.

Rich,
Thanks for the info. What I was trying to ask was the number of PD "Classic" models imported into the US. I've read something like 75-80 total, but I'm not sure about that. Here is a link with a little info on the classic model.
http://www.micapeak.com/bmw/gs/

Here is a pic of a "Classic" showing the tank graphics that mine doesn't have.

Attachments

• pdclassic.jpg
    pdclassic.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 160
RE Tank Slapper:Check you tripletrees for being out of alignment/twisted :and or uneven fork tube height :and or bent fork tubes :and or a bad wheel bearing. I also have tourances and they fly straight.
I Love my bike but fear unexpected trans problems while on the road. The engine is so simple technology wise. I lust after these new 1200GS things but am disgusted by servo assisted brakes and a possible higher instance of mech/elec failure. Whats up with assisted brakes? A lever, hyrdaulic fluid, steel braided line... When did this become incompetent? Sheesh!

"bog" at highway speeds

Here is a simple check you can do that won't cost you anything!

Take off your bikes gas cap and check the vent holes. If they are clogged this condition will cause your bike to feel like it's running out of fuel.

Take an air hose with a blow nozzle attachment and blow out each hole in the cap. use a shop cloth to block off the other holes so as to get maximum pressure.

Good luck!

Back