• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Airhead

cracked exhaust valve

http://www.motorworkspromach.com/
Cisco Gonzales at motor works in National City is the guy I am taking the heads to: I found him on this forum and through other airheads in the local area here, and he should be able to clean them up. The money is there for now, and I think these big ticket items are worth it. Now I'm really glad I pulled these..

Attachments

• DSC_0173.jpg
    DSC_0173.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 567
Chunk o'Change...

The guys at Motorworks are completely rebuilding the heads (I do not have the expertise, that is for sure), honing the cylinders and putting new rings on it.... All told, that job is about a little over 600 bucks....Whew..

Bag/tag time

Before....after...
It's time to cease/desist for awhile and bag/tag everything while it's still in my head. I thought that my grey boxes on the toolbench would be enough, but there is no way..
Thanks to Mike on the other restoration thread, I am going to bag/tag with ziploc bags, and take a week off the destruction and use my pictures, the clymer, and any advice you guys have to ensure I have all my fasteners identified before I go forward with the front end.
Main thing today is to ensure my project is secured to the workbench properly. Right now the car jacks are a bit too wobbly for my taste.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 523
The guys at Motorworks are completely rebuilding the heads (I do not have the expertise, that is for sure), honing the cylinders and putting new rings on it.... All told, that job is about a little over 600 bucks....Whew..

Actually, that's not too bad of a price if they're doing all that work.

New rings/honing is a piece of cake. Head work is not much harder, but I actually having done it on plenty of other motors have yet to do it on one of my BMW's.

Thats a GREAT price!! I've spent more than that just having a set of heads done!

Naive Newbie

Thats a GREAT price!! I've spent more than that just having a set of heads done!
Yep, I think so too: I told the guys that I would much rather "redistribute" my income to them instead of the government. I always have that momentary sticker shock when you you pay 22% of the original cost of the bike for a repair...but hell, I own a sailboat: I should have known better :)
Okay here's the next question....Oops. Any advice on these parts? If you check out the shutterfly pics, you'll see that everything is bagged and tagged, all except these little gems!
I'm sure I'll figure it out, but if any of them jump out at you, let me know, and I'll put it in the right bag!

Attachments

• DSC_0099.jpg
    DSC_0099.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 502

Do you have a link to the Motorworks that's doing your job? Thanks.

Yep, I think so too: I told the guys that I would much rather "redistribute" my income to them instead of the government. I always have that momentary sticker shock when you you pay 22% of the original cost of the bike for a repair...but hell, I own a sailboat: I should have known better :)
Okay here's the next question....Oops. Any advice on these parts? If you check out the shutterfly pics, you'll see that everything is bagged and tagged, all except these little gems!
I'm sure I'll figure it out, but if any of them jump out at you, let me know, and I'll put it in the right bag!

I see shiny bits. Are you a BLING brother?

Here's how I blew last fall:

BMW80.jpg

Any advice on these parts? If you check out the shutterfly pics, you'll see that everything is bagged and tagged, all except these little gems!

Now its time for the plastic jars you've been saving for precisely this monent. Place the nuts, bolts and washers in separate jars and either have them cad plated or just keep them till you need em.

I hate looking at rust, so I replaced a lot of my non-critical fasteners with SS. Whatever you do, you'll need these sooner or later.

I see shiny bits. Are you a BLING brother?

Here's how I blew last fall:

BMW80.jpg

This was a result of a belt sander, 220 grit, 400 grit, 600 grit, and aluminum polish on a wheel rigged up on a drill press.
I think I'm probably going to stick to a few accent pieces and not go crazy with this process...Don't think I have the patience for it.

Attachments

• DSC_0102.jpg
    DSC_0102.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 480
This was a result of a belt sander, 220 grit, 400 grit, 600 grit, and aluminum polish on a wheel rigged up on a drill press.
I think I'm probably going to stick to a few accent pieces and not go crazy with this process...Don't think I have the patience for it.

Oh, you are well on the path. You can help the patience thing by checking your work at a distance no less than five feet. Closer than that and you'll obsess about it overmuch.

Oh, you are well on the path. You can help the patience thing by checking your work at a distance no less than five feet. Closer than that and you'll obsess about it overmuch.

Prophetic, man....This weekend was a great break, thanks to taking the time to categorize it all again. Can't stress the importance of pictures. I have referred to them so much I am thinking of setting up my laptop in the garage!

Can't stress the importance of pictures. I have referred to them so much I am thinking of setting up my laptop in the garage!
Dude, that's how I make banana bread. Google up Emeril's recipe and set the laptop in the kitchen. That way, I never have to print it out. :thumb

Transmission is off

Sitting on the workbench, waiting for me to clean it, by God..
The heads, cylinders and pistons are finished, will pick them up from Motoworks tomorrow.. A few more pictures are posted, to ensure I have the hardware bagged and tagged correctly after the night's soak in parts cleaner...

Attachments

• DSC_0111.jpg
    DSC_0111.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 425
Hey, do something about that pivot arm pin on the back of the transmission.

Somewhere in my R90 thread (in my signature) is proof of what can happen if it slips.. it'll bust the back of the transmission.

What a great thread

Hey, do something about that pivot arm pin on the back of the transmission.

Somewhere in my R90 thread (in my signature) is proof of what can happen if it slips.. it'll bust the back of the transmission.

Man, the R90 thread is just awesome...
Didn't find the pivot arm story though.. .what do I need to do? I'll look at you thread again later... Great, great job, dude...
K

Man, the R90 thread is just awesome...
Didn't find the pivot arm story though.. .what do I need to do? I'll look at you thread again later... Great, great job, dude...
K

Haha, thanks. If I retold the story today, I'd leave out a few details. :ha

Page 13 is where the transmission doo-dad broke. I (am a cheap-ass and) made a replacement, but you can but the BMW stuff to replace the pin and e-clip that give the pivot arm the fulcrum action.

When I walked into the airhead tent at the '09 rally, there was a guy with the exact problem. Broken doo-dad. They took his transmission to a machine shop who made some fancy (scary) rig on the post and it worked. I'm afraid to ask how much it cost.

..but if you fix it before it happens (like I immediately did to my R75 (which I also have a thead on)), it'll cost you even less. :thumb

Back