• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tool Pic?

A

awshucks

Anyone have a pic of the spanner type tool needed to remove exhaust nuts on the head on a '81 R100? Am going to attempt to fab one, need to know how many fins they contact. Tia!

You should be able to get a look at one on e-bay. I have 26 years experience in metal fabrication and welding, and would not attempt to make that tool. you can buy one cheaper. IMHO

you can borrow mine if you happen to live in or near NYC!

You should be able to get a look at one on e-bay. I have 26 years experience in metal fabrication and welding, and would not attempt to make that tool. you can buy one cheaper. IMHO

Boy howdy, you got that right! I checked the link so kindly provided and am leaning toward the Ed Korn version. Any experience w/ it? My nuts are relatively new, under 5k for sure, so I may luck out there. Thanks again!

I recently lost over 1/2 quart of oil, left side smoking a lot on start up including front crossover pipe. Not the usual side stand puff's, bike's been on center stand. Compression test tomorrow eve, but can see a need for a nut tool real quick. All tips appreciated, including any errors in the Clymers, '81 R100. Will disconnect elect ignition and pull the carbs, although the latter is not mentioned in my Clymers. Would open throttle be as good? Opinions seem to vary on that.

For the compression check, you want the engine to be somewhat warm, after a 15-20 mile ride. Pulling the carbs is the best to allow the engine to breathe. If you leave the carbs in place, you'll need to find a way to prop open the slides in the CV carbs. Slides carbs, you can just roll the throttle all the way open.

Also, if and when you go to remove those exhaust nuts, be aware of all the concerns expressed on many posts about what might happen if you begin to loosen the nuts and they suddenly get tight. That's a good sign of the beginning stages of galling the threads. You should stop and strongly consider cutting the nuts off.

But before doing any of that, I've read where using a good penetrating liquid like 'Kroil and letting that soak for a while, days even, will help to get them off easier with less damage. But if they stick, cut 'em off!

Boy howdy, you got that right! I checked the link so kindly provided and am leaning toward the Ed Korn version. Any experience w/ it? My nuts are relatively new, under 5k for sure, so I may luck out there. Thanks again!

I recently lost over 1/2 quart of oil, left side smoking a lot on start up including front crossover pipe. Not the usual side stand puff's, bike's been on center stand. Compression test tomorrow eve, but can see a need for a nut tool real quick. All tips appreciated, including any errors in the Clymers, '81 R100. Will disconnect elect ignition and pull the carbs, although the latter is not mentioned in my Clymers. Would open throttle be as good? Opinions seem to vary on that.

I have the Ed Korn one. It lets you approach at more angles, as you are using your own ratchet/breaker bar. For this reason it does leave the hamhanded open to using too much force too soon. But if you are gradual and incremental with your force, and generous with penetrant, I think it gives you a better feel. You are concentrating on how, rather than if, the nut is moving. The short handle typical ones make you concentrate too much on trying to get any movement at all. Does this make sense?

Exhaust Nut Wrench

I have a bronze one from Bob's, works great but not something I'd want to take along on a trip. You can make your own, but aside from the intrigue of crafting your own tool, there are lots of them already made.

I just bought one from Guy Hendersen's shop for $35, lightweight and precision cut, made of aluminum. It fits like a glove (although I'm not sure it would work on older style nuts). It does not come with an extension, but I made one, simple enough.

Also, someone has probably mentioned this but I will too in case it's not been said. I use Kroil, most gun shops sell it, as a creeping penetrating oil. For the exhaust nuts, especially the first time, I spent a week riding the bike and each time I would park the bike after a ride, I'd spray Kroil onto both sides of the nuts while they are hot. You can do it while the pipes are cold, but it won't creep as much as a hot set drawing it in. My bike sat untouched for 8 years in a garage, so I was concerned they may be hard to release. That was the method I used, a very light tap with a rubber mallet on a proper exhaust wrench and the came off easily.

Upon re-assembly, you probably can't use enough anti-seize in my opinion. Easy does it on the tightening end too--those are aluminum on aluminum threads afterall.

Attachments

• ExhaustNutTool.jpg
    ExhaustNutTool.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
thanks all, Ed Korn model ordered, compression check in 5,4,3,2.....lol I'm guessing valve guide.

Comp check: 115-118 av both sides. Disconnected the crank vent to carbs to see if that's got anything to do w/ problem, both tubes from box to carbs have oil drops in them, will put some miles on it tomorrow and see if smoking problem abates and I got a pool of oil in air box.

Can't put much faith in that, only smokes one side, but have seen posts on divertng crank vent to either 'sponges' of scotch brite on 'T' or a bottle. Rather have it stock, but since I have to wait on wrench to pull heads................

Back