• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

rear wheel

Y

yappo

why is my rear wheel not centered under the fender?the wheel appears to be about an inch over to the left,when viewed directly from behind.i have just recently noticed this after having owned the /5 these past 3 years.the bike performs well.i just recently greased and reset the swingarm,installed new 10mm bolts and rubber boot.i've checked the rear axle,wheel and brake drum and nothing seems amiss.i see other /5s and they are centered.i know i'm missing something.

The PO could have installed a spacer in the bearing stack for a wider rear wheel. That won't move it over an inch, but it does provide an offset.

correctomento

your right on about that kurt.thanks for your insight.it was driving me nuts,regards.brian

Check the swingarm bearing adjustment. You can move the swingarm left or right as needed.

There isn't a lot of space between tire and fender when the suspension is compressed. I've widened my rear fender about 3/4 in. to provide more side clearance. It turns out that's a bit on the wide side, as the seat pan contacts the fender. I still prefer a widened fender, but I'd suggest 5/8 in. instead.

Also, check the drive side bearing spacer. The PO could have installed a wide spacer to allow a lower profile rear tire to clear the swingarm.

pmdave

Back