• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear brake disc on 2002 K1200LTe

ekonuk

Turk
I am on my second brake disc on the LT. First one started to make loud noises 28000 miles after the dealer replaced the original disc (solid) with a floating disc. I guess it was a recall of some sort. I had a talk with the dealer but I was told it was out of warranty. I bought a new one for $385.00 and that one like the old one started making rattling noises after 30000 miles. Has anyone had this problem. It is very annoying to be going through a camp ground in slow speed with all that rattling. I hear it on the other LTs also. What can I do. I do not want to spend another $400.00 for a disc that is going to bad in a short time. I have 120000 miles on the bike. Mostly highway miles.
Thanks.

Last edited:
If it is a floating disc as you say, could it just be the attachment clips that need renewing to 'snug' it up? The microfiche for that bike do not show what I would expect to see for attachments for the floating style, and my '00 RS has a solid mounted disc....but, maybe. Is it possible it is just the pads making noise to say they are worn out and need replacing? http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_catalog/K1200LT/catalog_frameset.html
Diagram 34_1188 shows a solid mount rotor for this model up to 2004.

Floating Disc

Hi Jim,
I understand what you are saying but here is the deal. The bike, which is a 2002 came with a solid rear disc. However, when I was at the (can't remember the date) service manager told me about a recall on the rear discs on LTs. He wanted to replace it. I said fine and they replaced it. Much later when I started hearing noises coming from the rear wheel. After inspecting the rear assy. I realized that the noises wer coming from the rear brake disc. Called the dealer and they said it was more then a year so it was out of warranty. I ordered a new one to the tune of $385.00 and installed it and everything was fine till I had around 30000 miles on the new disc and that one started to rattle. I was so frustrated with the whole deal that I decided to find a solution myself. I took the disc off the bike and took it to a friend who has a tig welder. After centering the whole assy I welded each rivet to the disc. It turned out real good. Looks like factory job. No more noise to be embrassed about. Road tested the bike. It is like a new bike again. Thank you for the comeback. Maybe someone else will have the same problem and they can solve the problem like I did.
Ersin

I believe I have the same disk on my CLC as yours on the LT...my disk was rattling so I had them replace it while the bike was still under warranty. Later, the same disk (the kind with 10 buttons) started rattling, too. It was replaced under warranty with the newer design 5 button disk. I can't wait for it to start rattling - because that will be replaced under warranty. It doesn't matter if the bike is out of warranty - if the dealer installs the part, it's good for 2 years with unlimited mileage. That is, if you let the dealer do the install. If all goes well, I will always have a non-rattling new disk on the back!

Back