• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100LT Radio box removal

tinman

Good morning folks...

At the end of yesterday's ride, I noticed a loud(er) ticking sound under acceleration, not present at idle or deceleration. I'm pretty sure it's an exhaust thing. I used my trusty stethorod to locate the noise in the garage. Started to remove plastic and got to the radio box (after radio is removed). What's the secret to removing the box and rest of plastic to get to the last two lower fairing screws?

Help....please, we're losing riding days fast here in the hills.l:banghead

Last edited:
Radio Frame Release

I have been there. :banghead Banging my head on the wall because I could not figure it out. Once you know how it is very simple. There are 3 holes in the frame, one above, one below and one to the left of the radio. In those holes are latch tabs that need to be released. Use a small screwdriver to catch the tab and move it in toward the radio. You may need to release the side and bottom latches at the same time in order start lifting the frame and then release the top. If there is an extra set of hands available it would probably help.

Doug

Thanks...Luckily when I got home yesterday a guy from El Paso (I think his initials are Phil Marvin) had sent me the info.

< hands
behind back twisting toe in dirt> I had been trying to remove the shock mounted bracket from the actual removable box. </ twisting>:blush

BTW, forward crush ring was burned through, whew. I had visions of valve/head/cam troubles 'til I realized the noise disappeared upon deceleration or less aggressive riding.

I have read many posting from the studs coming loose or even falling out. Keep them torqued. It doesn't take long and you do not need to remove the plastic to do it. :thumb

Back