• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

08 RT Tupperware screws vibrate loose

cookie

Jeff
Am I the only one? This is getting frustrating, I lost two on the right side, then one on the left and now I lost another one. Went to True Value and found 8mm head for the 6mm x1.0 thread pitch with integrated washer. Then the 5mm x 80 t/pitch. Now I have 25/27 torx, 3mm allen, 8mm and 10mm hex to hold down the tupperware, a total of 5 non O.E. screws.:banghead
I need to go to the dealer and replace them, and I will. Has anyone used locktite on these fastners? I would try the medium strength but I was hoping I am not the first guinea pig to try it out.
Oh, by the way, the valves are b&*lls on accurate and the dealer did the t/body sync. I ordered a "twin max" just because I can. I will check the t/body, but you know the bike runs like a well oiled sewing machine, very little vibration!!::drink
Thank you for your ideas, I do appreciate it>
Jeff Anderson

I lost the two on the right side (below the oil cooler). I now include these screws in my pre/post ride inspections and resecure them if they appear to be coming loose. They've been behaving themselves since I started giving them more attention.

Last edited:
I have never lost any. When I put them back in I put them a "tight" hand tight using a 1/4" drive ratchet. If you do use loctite I would use the blue one as that is not permanent. The other thing you may want to check or replace are the actual J-nuts to which the screws fasten.

Twin Max, GOOD:)

I bought one of the TMs so many years ago, I forgot how long now. Its a good tool to keep in your saddlebag. I carry mine always:). However, its rarely needed, I like knowing I can adjust if its ever needed. I do check the bodies after every valve adjust and the TM is so very easy to use once you are practiced with it. A very quick 5 minute or less proceedure, even if you make some adjust to the cable. ONE quick TIP for TM users is, TAKE the battery out and leave it disconnected, or the unit can come ON too easily in the saddlebags and wear the battery out! My old one is like this and its unknown to me if they improved this design. I'm very happy to have my Twin Max with me always:). Those screws coming out? You can use the tinyest amount of BLUE Locktite and it will keep them in place. Remember TINY with the Locktite, as it takes "very little" to do the job here...Too much of this stuff and the bolts will NOT come out again. If you have a Locktite bolt giving you trouble coming out, HEAT it first with a heat gun, BUT use caution, as heat guns WILL melt your fairing! Work carefully....Randy:usa

Aftermarket Stainless Steel (SS)

When I owned a 2000 R1100RT, I purchased a set of SS replacement screws for the entire bike's tupperware.

Just wondering if one can purchase an aftermarket kit of SS screws for a 08 R1200RT?

Wunderlich SS fairing screws

When I owned a 2000 R1100RT, I purchased a set of SS replacement screws for the entire bike's tupperware.

Just wondering if one can purchase an aftermarket kit of SS screws for a 08 R1200RT?

8166113.jpg

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WA&Product_Code=8166113&Category_Code=R1200RT-X

I have never lost any. When I put them back in I put them a "tight" hand tight using a 1/4" drive ratchet. If you do use loctite I would use the blue one as that is not permanent. The other thing you may want to check or replace are the actual J-nuts to which the screws fasten.

My fasteners remain snug -- but the plastic has only been removed a half dozen times so far. Like Semper Fi, I'd recommend checking those j-nuts -- they do seem like they could get worn over time after repeated uses.

I bought 5 panel fastener screws and 5 of the j-nuts for about $10.00 at the dealer just to keep handy.

I've never seen a tupperware screw corrode on my beemers. Why on earth would anyone want to replace good steel OEM screws with aluminum ones from Wonderlich? Doesn't make sense to me.

Back