• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fastener Inventory 08RT

E

EXPATRIATED

I'll readily admit this is a weird post, but a) I'm extremely OCD and it's been bothering me and b) there's not a whole lot of riding around these days.

I went over my 2008 R1200RT to see what fasteners are on the bike, besides the obvious torx and phillips screws.

I found:

Nuts/bolts:
6mm
8mm
10mm
13mm
15mm
18mm
19mm

16mm Spark Plug Socket

Hex:
3mm
4mm
5mm
8mm
22mm (thanks, Jack)

Do you know of any I've missed?:ear

Last edited:
Things a little slow there in Indy, are they? :laugh

Yes. And it's tough being anal.

22mm hex for front axle?

You're right. Forgot about that one. :doh

This whole thing started a long time ago when I posted a question here asking if anyone knew of such a list. At the time, I wanted to create a list to make sure I had a tool for each fastener. I also wanted to make sure I had what I needed to make repairs on the road but I also didn't want to carry sockets and wrenches that had no corresponding fastener on the bike.

While I readily admit I'm not going to get in over my head taking the entire bike apart on the side of the highway, I also think it's feasible to be doing a bit of wrenching in a friend's garage a few thousand miles from home. Thus, I wanted to have the appropriate list. And my quest to determine it.

Throwing a bunch of sockets and wrenches in a bag with extensions and different sized ratchets is one way to go, buying a kit that has more than you need and maybe missing an item or two is another way. I'm trying to answer a nagging question so that maybe one of these days, I'll be able to sleep:laugh

Here's a tool that may appeal to you. A spark plug tool and front axle tool combined: High quality C&C work.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-PromachMfg/-strse-1/Promach-Dual-Tool/Detail.bok

Nice!

I've already got 2 coil pullers (Marc Parnes and the Wonderlich)

I've also got the Parnes front Axle tool.

I think I'll hold off for a while on this new one but I like the way it nests into the other one. I probably would have bought this one, had I seen it first.

I just ordered a Gedore:german extended spark plug socket today. It was half the price of the Hazet:german or Snap-on:usa one. Granted, it was 4x the Harbor Freight one. [what-no China flag emoticon?!]

Has anyone seen an aftermarket tool to remove the stock BMW oil fill cap? BMW doesn't list its little plastic one as a separate part. I'd like to hang it on the workbench, so I don't have to remove the seat and remove the toolkit and unroll it and pick out the tool.

OTOH, the bike doesn't use oil. Maybe I shouldn't tempt fate. :scratch

Has anyone seen an aftermarket tool to remove the stock BMW oil fill cap?

I'm sure Touratech makes one. But why not use a 19 mm nut.

Tools-36.jpg

From the "A neat trick with epoxy" subsection of http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/toolkit.html

Hmm...I only saw the three protrusions, and never tweaked that a hex might drive it.

(pause for inspection)

A 19mm hex seems a bit loose in the central recess; maybe I could find a big nut at the hardware store that's just a bit bigger.
Thanks Marc.

Gathering my resources, I tried a 19mm hex in it. Works fine. The tool's right on my workbench: a sparkplug socket I never use, with a 6" 3/8" extension stuck in the wrong way. I don't have to go to the hardware store for a bigger nut or even the faucet handle.

Now...if my bike would just burn some oil... :D

Has anyone seen an aftermarket tool to remove the stock BMW oil fill cap? BMW doesn't list its little plastic one as a separate part. I'd like to hang it on the workbench, so I don't have to remove the seat and remove the toolkit and unroll it and pick out the tool.

OTOH, the bike doesn't use oil. Maybe I shouldn't tempt fate. :scratch

Here's what you're looking for:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/PN-044-0580/Multitool-R1200GS

Personally, I didn't like carrying that stock BMW tool around that was so odd so I changed the oil cap out to a metal one and a T-50 key since I'm carrying the torx anyway.

The tool's right on my workbench: a sparkplug socket I never use

Yeah, I should gave remembered that. I keep the plastic tool in an exterior pocket of my tank bag so it is always easy access. However, the BMW spark plug tool that came with the earliest GS models also fits. I suspected that others would, too. You just proved that.

One side of the Marc Parnes axle removal tool is also a 19mm nut, which fits the cap. If you're carrying that already for the axle or an improvised ratchet, you don't need anything else.

Originally posted by dbrick:
Has anyone seen an aftermarket tool to remove the stock BMW oil fill cap? BMW doesn't list its little plastic one as a separate part.

Yes, it is available as a separate part. P/n 71117691446 'open oil cap'.

Back