• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT beats Goldwing for Best Touring

I also traded a 1500 Wing on my RT - The RT is a superior 1 up tourer, but for 2 up, it can't match the comfort and storage space of the GoldWing.

Also, I notice that Motorcycle.Com never bothered to actually weigh the RT. They simply accept BMW's claim of 570 lbs wet, which seems to be closer to 625 with panniers & fluids according to MCN. (Still much better than the 890+ pound GW!)

Tom

Comparison???

RT vs. Gold Wing? What a HUGE question mark! The RT is clearly a closer sport touring bike comparison, as I see them. Two bikes have never been further apart, the RT and Gold Wing...Glad to see the RT doing so well, but give me a break here, whatever mag wrote this is comparing WRONG bikes. The KLT/HD Dresser should be the GW rivals here and clearly are, by my standard of BIG bikes. The RT is an upper middle weight. NO comparisons here, are worthy of reading. The RT outshines most in its"RIGHTFUL"class, including the GW(imo), "out of class" bike. THE GW is a two up, tow anything, do anything monster that the RT simply cannot compete with, when a "heavy loading" scenario comes forth....See what I mean? 600 vs 800+lbs! How can anybody compare these, as equals? Randy:thumb

On the sport touring side, I don't see much "sport" in any of the contenders except the F800ST. All the rest are heavy on the touring and light on the sport. BMW seems to have abandoned the sport touring class (which they invented) in favor of the grand touring concept. Too bad. I would really like to see a follow-on for the R1200ST.

Karl

On the sport touring side, I don't see much "sport" in any of the contenders except the F800ST. All the rest are heavy on the touring and light on the sport. BMW seems to have abandoned the sport touring class (which they invented) in favor of the grand touring concept. Too bad. I would really like to see a follow-on for the R1200ST.

Karl

Proving once again that "sport-touring" is in the eye of the beholder :D

To me, the RT is the ideal sport-tourer -- fully competent at touring, with my head out of a wind blast at highway speed, and *very* capable when I want to push it.

From your perspective, the RT isn't sporty enough; my my perspective, the ST can't seriously be called a tourer -- who's right? We both are. And more importantly, BMW is -- they are making still making "sport touring" bikes -- ones with enough variety to meet anyone's definition of "sport touring." So, IMO it's an over statement to suggest that BMW's "abandoned" this segment.

$0.02 deposited.

It wasn't a fair comparison. It is like comparing a Lincoln Town Car with a Mercedes E Series or the Lexus GS Series. One floats along and will carry a large load and the others are a drivers vehicle.

Ken

Proving once again that "sport-touring" is in the eye of the beholder :D

To me, the RT is the ideal sport-tourer -- fully competent at touring, with my head out of a wind blast at highway speed, and *very* capable when I want to push it.

From your perspective, the RT isn't sporty enough; my my perspective, the ST can't seriously be called a tourer -- who's right? We both are. And more importantly, BMW is -- they are making still making "sport touring" bikes -- ones with enough variety to meet anyone's definition of "sport touring." So, IMO it's an over statement to suggest that BMW's "abandoned" this segment.

$0.02 deposited.
The RT is a sport-tourer with the emphasis on tourer!

the K1300GT is a sport-tourer with the emphasis on Sport!

800cc Sport or tourer???:scratch

Karl

The ST was and is a great, but sadly misunderstood, bike. In the end BMW buyers chose to go for more touring in their sport rather then the other way around. Just an evolution of things I guess. The young men of the 70's and 80's are now in their 60's and 70's. Check out the rallies. Will there be a follow-up in the Boxer twin line I hope so.

Hold onto that ST as it will become a collector's item.

I think it's a reasonable comparison. I have a 2009 R1200RT and I do not consider it a sport touring machine. Others clearly do.

I had a Goldwing and went to an RT and was amazed by the RT

Went to the RT because my wife started riding her own bike and the wing was just too big as a daily driver.

Saddlebags full, trunk full, carry bag on trunk full, pulling a full trailer - the RT can not compare to the sheer mass that a GW can pull and the comfort for both it provides.

The wing does well in it's design intent ,the same as the RT does, but to me you can not compare the two.

Last edited:
RT vs Lead

My '02 GW just went to its new owner. Although the wing did most things well I appreciate the RT ability to be agile and effective in its ability to be a sport tourer.

I suppost the "Town car" Wing has its place. I for one am pleased about my '08 RT.

Semper Fi is right... No real comparision...

Last edited:
Oh, please...:rolleyes

Those who are pointing out that these two aren't even in the same class are absolutely right.

Besides that, it's not as if this was some sort of head-to-head road test or even as if there was a road test at all. (How many of these winners had more than a review or press release in the related reading links?) Hell, the only BMW link they posted was for 2005. How does a 2010 Triumph nobody was able to buy this year win as an '09 Bike of the Year? It's not the only elusive, not yet/no longer available thing on the list, either.

These "Awards", determined by a group of editors sitting around an on-line conference room table, selecting from machines they may not have even ridden, are about as meaningful as fantasy football.

No Comparison

At current time there is only one motorcycle on US market that could be compared with BMW R1200RT and that's Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - there is nothing else in it's class.
Honda Gold Wing matches BMW K1200LT and that should be obvious. Maybe someone overlooked similarities of these 2 bikes. It would be the same if the truck magazine compared Ford F-150 against Kenworth T660.

The RT is a sport-tourer with the emphasis on tourer!

the K1300GT is a sport-tourer with the emphasis on Sport!

800cc Sport or tourer???:scratch

I beg to differ... Deal's Gap July 15th... Pics courtesy of Zeefoto. I like to call my RT a well dressed sportbike :D

D1502083.jpg

D1502085.jpg

D1502086.jpg

D1502087.jpg

Thanks for the great photo's Scott. Makes me want to get out and ride. I was at Deals Gap in May of 2008 but not on my RT.

Nice pics:)

That RT is Sporting indeed:). My biggest complaint about rating tourer's is they should at least compare in weight! The GW vs. RTs is simply a joke. I do get the drift of the article however, as they most probably were not classing any particular bikes, just popularity and sales in general. Has to be! Both RTs and Wings are exceptional rides, with mega popularity among their riders:). ME, give me my GSA every time:)....Happy Trails, Randy:stick

RT is a great bike, enjoyed mine for the 4 years and 35,000 miles I rode it. But, if you are talking about touring, there is no comparison (IMHO) to the Goldwing. :nono Much smoother, substantially more comfortable for rider and passenger, infinitely more powerful (for trailer towing or loaded with gear), more stable in crosswinds, fantastic integrated Navi and sound systems, and absolutely perfect ergonomics, the Goldwing is the epitome of what a touring bike should be (again, IMHO). 2600 miles and has used NO oil. :stick Gets 41 MPG on regular gas. Not badmouthing the RT at all, I loved mine.:heart My mistake was riding a Goldwing.....after that, I was sold.:deal Of course, YMMV.:D

Still having both a '91 Goldwing and a '08 RT, My Goldwing at 18 years old is still much better at everything that the RT. The Goldwing has the entire drivetrain and the gas tank low in the frame ,letting it handle better , despite it's weight. much more smoother engine, more thought out audio system, compared to RT's no thought. More room , protection and comfort for driver and passenger. Engine doesn't hammer and struggle ,2- up and gets 42 mpg as opposed to 32 on the RT. After having the RT for 11 months , I wish I hadn't wasted the money on it. Super dissappointed so far.

Back