• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hyper Lights on R1200RT

gk78906

I'm planning to install Hyper-Lights on my '06 R1200RT. These lights will simply, if this is possible, attach to the + and - wires at the brake lights. This should not be a problem but I still have a lot to learn regarding the electrics on the newer R models. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

I tried to get information from Hyper lights and how they work with the canbus and tapping into the brake light wires. They did not answer directly and mentioned having to run a relay for them from somewhere on the bike. ????

I decided to go with the P3 lights which were designed to be compatible with the canbus. They work great, are insanely bright, work as a tail light and the customer service is great.

Hyperlights, This might help.

I cut a pasted, another members post concerning a different subject, but thought it might steer you in the right direction.......see below

Look for the circular cover that spins off to expose where a BMW technician would hook up their proprietary computer for a diagnostic check.

Take that entire housing off (two screws) and inside will be a black/yellow wire. Tap into that for your relay..........CANbus is not in any way wired into this, so no faults to read, and the fuse block will go 'on & off' with the ignition.

Used this to install hyperlites..........works great, and CANbus doesn't know you're there!
Good Luck.
Iron Butt Member # 34281

I looked under that cover yesterday, looking for a place to tap my switched fuse block into. There wasn't a black and yellow wire in there. :scratch YEMV

Rubber down.

I looked under that cover yesterday, looking for a place to tap my switched fuse block into. There wasn't a black and yellow wire in there. :scratch YEMV

Rubber down.

Call Hyper-Lites on Monday.....ask for RON. They changed color coding for '07.

He will steer you to the correct wire for a relay.

Good Luck!

I installed hyper lite brake and turn signals on my '08 RT. With the instructions provided by the company installation was a breeze.

I then tried to install the HL's using a different power source. The saddle spades were too small for the stock spade conections. WTH?? PITA!!! :banghead :banghead
Rubber down.
:usa

I installed hyper lights on my 05 1200RT and they connected to the tail light using spade connectors. I didn't have to tap into the CANBUS at all. :confused:

Hyper lights

I did the same, tap into the brake lights, I took the option of mounting the two 16 light leds inside the RT brake lens, slip them through the exisiting bulb hole a little silicone adh. and mount them inside to the top inside of the lens.
They look sharp as they are hidden and do not interfear with the exisitng bulbs.

I did the same, tap into the brake lights, I took the option of mounting the two 16 light leds inside the RT brake lens, slip them through the exisiting bulb hole a little silicone adh. and mount them inside to the top inside of the lens.
They look sharp as they are hidden and do not interfear with the exisitng bulbs.

Hmmmm... sounds interesting

Post a pic or 2?

Dmilan

Mounted my P3 lights across the bottom of my license plate. This way I have two tail lights mounted apart from each other which should mean better visibility from behind since they are on all the time. When the brakes come on, they are far enough apart that one brake light does not get lost in the other. Others who have follwed me say it is a great set up, very visible and very bright when the brakes are hit.

I am interested in the P3 lights for my R1200RT. The one issue I am concerned about is any RFI (radio frequency interference) generated by these units. I run the Garmin 550, Bluetooth phone, J&M CB/amplifier. All of this works well with no electrical noise. Will the P3 start a problem with these device's clarity? Anyone running the P3 with similar radio gear have experience in this regard?

Thanks

I dont run anything like that on my GS, but if ask the guy at P3 he may be able to tell you. Very nice fellow and great customer service.

I did send him that question and got a fast reply. He states it will not introduce and radio noise. I will take him at his word unless I hear a user state otherwise. I had another question and he was quick again with a reply. He does seem helpful and friendly.

Back