• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

86 K75 been sitting

nvus111

I have decided that 2 years sitting is long enough. I just bought a new battery, and wanted to know if there was anything special I could do to make sure this little beasty would fire right up when I hit the button.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Take the old gas out of the tank and put it in your truck.Add fresh gas.

Take out each spark plug,clean and gap or replace,put oil into each cylinder,not much a couple of spoonfuls,and turn the engine with the plugs out.

Next!!

OK...new plugs in...did not change gas, though...ooops!

Bike turns over, but not even pretending like she wants to run, at all.

Do you think I will have to change the fuel filter, and maybe clean the carb? (I am new to this, but willing to wrench a bit when I have to....or is the thing injected?)

Newbie, here!

I smelled fuel when I turned it over. (I wanted to check and see if fuel was getting to the rail, without taking anything apart, and I figured lightly flooding it may do the trick)

So, how do I drain the tank? Do I take the hose of at the front of the rail? Seems awful fused together (the hose and the nipple)

BTW...this is my wife's bike, and I ride as well, she was bedridden with a little munchkin in her belly most of last year,, and now getting the bug to get back on 2 wheels.

I may ride the BMW some, too, but my yammie does me pretty good.

go to IBMWR.ORG and looka round at all the k-tech articles. Just abotu everythign you need to do can be found there.

Thanks, I have been snooping around, and I think I have found my answer for the tech stuff that I need right now.

Can I post some photos on this forum? I want to ask about the rigged fairing that is on this bike, too.

nvus111 said:
Thanks, I have been snooping around, and I think I have found my answer for the tech stuff that I need right now.

Can I post some photos on this forum? I want to ask about the rigged fairing that is on this bike, too.

Sure can. Go look in the "How do I...." forum for the posting pictures thread. You can practice over there and nobody will laugh at you.

Well, not much anyway..... :wave

nvus111 said:
I smelled fuel when I turned it over. (I wanted to check and see if fuel was getting to the rail, without taking anything apart, and I figured lightly flooding it may do the trick)

So, how do I drain the tank? Do I take the hose of at the front of the rail? Seems awful fused together (the hose and the nipple)

BTW...this is my wife's bike, and I ride as well, she was bedridden with a little munchkin in her belly most of last year,, and now getting the bug to get back on 2 wheels.

I may ride the BMW some, too, but my yammie does me pretty good.

There is an excellent possibility that the fuel pump is now an anchor. They are not happy sitting in old fuel for long, and the rubber mount they sit in has been known to turn into a tar like mess that then jams the pump, causing it to fail. The IBMWR website has some details on using a Ford Mustang pump as a replacement - but it will require some creative mounting. The factory pump is expensive (seem to remember ~$300 or so), but will fit right in.

You also MUST replace the fuel filter.

There is a good chance the injectors will also need replacing - the fuel sitting in them makes them plug up. You might have some success (it's not 100%) with getting them cleaned by a place that does automotive injection systems. Injectors are expensive also (seem to remember ~$120 each or so.)

To avoid this in the future - either fill the tank entirely along with a bottle of Stablant fuel stabilizer, or drain the entire system and let it sit dry (my preference.)

Draining the tank will best be done with a siphon at this point since you have no idea if the fuel pump works (do you hear ANY noise from inside the tank when cranking it over? If not - the pump is toast.) To use one of the hoses you'd need to have a working fuel pump.

There is also the possibility that the fuel-pressure-regulator has been damaged by the gas sitting in it for so long - but wait until you have the other problems cured before looking at it.

HTH,

Thank you very much for your detailed analysis. This is what I suspected. I will have a go at the pump and then look at the injectors. Hopefully be up and running by this time next week.

I guess you should have gotten off of that Yammy and rode the beemer a couple times!!:D :D Good luck getting her running again.

My wife's bike, and she was not too interested in "sharing," but now that she knows I can turn a wrench a bit.....whole 'nuther story!

Tahnks, again for all the advice.

Now all I need to do is find the best BMW dealer in the Northern VA area.

nvus111 said:
My wife's bike, and she was not too interested in "sharing," but now that she knows I can turn a wrench a bit.....whole 'nuther story!

Tahnks, again for all the advice.

Now all I need to do is find the best BMW dealer in the Northern VA area.

Yeah, I've had that happen with girlfriends. Though I've found you win major brownine points with dads if you can fix minor things on their "little girl's" cars while they are away at college. Is it too far from where you're you're at in NOVA to make it over to Bob's BMW in Jessup Maryland?

nvus111 said:
No Jessup is not too far at all. I've heard they are a pretty good dealer! Ever been there?

If you're not far from Spotslvania VA - I highly recommend Mortons BMW. Great place - enthusiast owner and good wrenches.

nvus111 said:
I have decided that 2 years sitting is long enough. I just bought a new battery, and wanted to know if there was anything special I could do to make sure this little beasty would fire right up when I hit the button.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Give the battery a good charge before you start it. In the many times I've stored my K75, I've only had it not start once. (I'll admit, I never let it sit two years, but it has sat 1year once, and several months on many occasions, like the last three months. Started right up on Friday)
It turned over fine, but wouldn't start for a while and when it did, it ran like crap. I charged the batt and it was all good. I surmise the FI brain doesn't think so good on half a charge.
The ONLY thing I've ever done to my K before storage is add Stabil to the fuel, and then not every time. I generally change all the fluids after a good warm-up though.
Good luck.

Back