• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which Bike?!?!?

F

FCONLON

I presently have a Ducati 750 Monster (first bike owned) that I owned for the past 3 years. I now quickly am growing out of it, especially after 2 X 700 mile trips this year. I am looking to buy a BMW but cannot decide which one either the 1200GS or the K1200RS.

I ride 6 out of 7 days, 5 of which are commuting to work. Am middle aged with a shorter inseam (31 in) and I would love to start traveling long distances (about 500 miles one way) about 4 to 5 times a year. Right now can only afford one bike.

I have been to a few BMW dealers, tried both bikes and really cannot decide. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You say you tried both bikes: Does that mean you've ridden them? Because they are completely different animals. You say you want to do 500-mile days. Either will do that comfortably. You say you will do a lot of commuting. For me the GS would be preferable for that role because of its upright ergos.

What else do you like to do with the bike? Do you prefer long, fast sweepers or tight, technical twisties? Do you have any desire to leave the pavement? Do you do your own maintenance? Do you like a bit (okay, a lot) of mechanical clatter or do you want sewing machine smoothness? The answer to these questions and more will guide you in your quest. Choose carefully, grasshopper. :D

I have heard good things about the R1200GS being the best all around bike. However I ride an RT, cause it is what fit my needs best at the time.

My suggestion, if the dealer does not do loooooong test rides put on gloves and boots and other proper clothing, and sit on both bikes in the shop for two to four hours. I mean really sit. Hands on grips, feet on pegs. That will help you figure out which one "fits" better physically. Now as to riding style, that is the art form.

Thanks Tim,

I did ride both bikes for about 30 min each. (I would say there was not as much clatter in the 2005 1200GS). I leave the payment very infrequently, do some of my own maintenance-certainly the oil, filters, etc. and a few things beyond. At the end of the day, the bike will be used for the daily commute about 10 months out of the year, a few good weekend rides per month and hopefully those 4-5 long rides per year. I would completely agree they are totally different and there in lies the confusion since I can only buy one.

BradfordBenn said:
My suggestion, if the dealer does not do loooooong test rides put on gloves and boots and other proper clothing, and sit on both bikes in the shop for two to four hours. I mean really sit. Hands on grips, feet on pegs. That will help you figure out which one "fits" better physically. Now as to riding style, that is the art form.

Another suggestion is, if the dealer does do test rides, take each on your morning commute.

IMO, the GS is the way to go. The K12RS shines on long days of cross-continent riding. In traffic they suck. Steering is heavy, the gearing is too tall, and the engine heat is noticeable.

The GS is equally at home picking your way through rush hour, a forest service road, or the Interstate while loaded to the sky with camping gear.

The only caveat comes if you are inseam challenged. The GS, even the R12 is somewhat tall and the RS is not.

Ian

ps => if you don't have to have the new R12GS, the 1150GS is a pretty danged good bike and they are available for very good prices.

Have you tried the CLC??? I also ride everyday and commute 50 mi one way. This bike is great for any length of trips you would be taking. The CLC really fits my needs much better than the others and it is great for short inseams....You ought to give it a try before you make a decision. This is my 4th Beemer and my favorite to date.:D

Last edited:
Back