• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

85 k100rs low voltage/charged battery

K-biker
Hey all. Been reading about all of the starter issues and wanted more info on ground running thru the starter. I have 11.25 volts on the battery and once in, will not even turn the headlight on. Acts like a drained battery. I read in a post that the ground is thru the starter and I need to pull it and clean it but should I be replacing anything (worn brushes?) before putting it all back in?

Also because of this will I need to tap the relay?
And will I do damage trying to jump from a car?

thx

11.25 volts is a bad battery.

How many volts does it drop down to when you try to turn on the lights??

:dance :dance :dance

9.8 V is definitely a bad battery. Start by changing that out and see if problems go away. I have an 87 K75S and a new YUASA batt cured my cold-weather ills.

Normal (I believe) is 12.8 cold, and 13.2 running on a functional alternator.

There are good threads about this on K-Bikes.com.

I have a 2yr old 12v BMW gel battery that has not had any problems till now. Have a battery tender and charge it monthly. Shouldn't it last longer?

I have a 2yr old 12v BMW gel battery that has not had any problems till now. Have a battery tender and charge it monthly. Shouldn't it last longer?

BMW branded gel battaries do not have a strong reputation. A 2 year life is not unheard of. They also require a charger specifically designed for gel batteries. If you want reliability, get a new flooded lead acid battery (BMW/Mareg or other maker). If you want convenience, get any of several brands of AGM sealed batteries.

Back