• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help!

R65LS

So I was going to Daytona on Friday and when I was coming back up to Jacksonville, the bike was acting funny. In transition from concrete to asphalt or vice versa, the bike wobbles a little. But there were a few times anywhere between 70mph and 100mph that the bike would start a slow wobble and gradualy get worse, to the point I thought I was going to drop it. Scared me to death. I thought maybe it was wind, so I laid on the tank and tried it again. This occured randomly three times. The only way I found to stop it was to pump the front brakes. I figured three posibilities. 1)Out of balance wheel; but it would be at a certain speed not randomly. 2)Warped wheel; but I would constantly feel it. 3)My but said the timinng chaing may be out of adjustment or warped in some way. Any ideas or advice anybody? Please help before I become a donor.

R65LS

R65LS said:
So I was going to Daytona on Friday and when I was coming back up to Jacksonville, the bike was acting funny. In transition from concrete to asphalt or vice versa, the bike wobbles a little. But there were a few times anywhere between 70mph and 100mph that the bike would start a slow wobble and gradualy get worse, to the point I thought I was going to drop it. Scared me to death. I thought maybe it was wind, so I laid on the tank and tried it again. This occured randomly three times. The only way I found to stop it was to pump the front brakes. I figured three posibilities. 1)Out of balance wheel; but it would be at a certain speed not randomly. 2)Warped wheel; but I would constantly feel it. 3)My but said the timinng chaing may be out of adjustment or warped in some way. Any ideas or advice anybody? Please help before I become a donor.

R65LS

Check a couple things before you get much farther.

Check to make sure you tires are in good shape and properly inflated.

Then check your steering head bearings.

How many miles do you have on that bike?

dave

How to Check Bearings

KBasa said:
Check your steering head bearings.

Put the bike on the centerstand. Sit down in front of it. Grab the ends of the axle in both of your hands. Pull toward you and push away. If you feel ANY play, your steering head is either too loose or the bearings are shot.

Still on the centerstand. Sit with the axle pointed toward your navel. Grab the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock with your two hands. Pull with one hand and push with the other. Then reverse the force. If you feel ANY play, your wheel bearings are shot.

Still on the centerstand. Stand next to the bike. Be SURE the front wheel is not touching the ground. Point the wheel straight ahead. Give the bars a gentle tap on one side. The bars should fall all the way to the extreme. Repeat on the other side. If not... your steering head bearings are too tight or worn out.

I had a simular experience years ago on a '70 R60/5 and it turned out being an a bad swingarm bearing, it worth a shot to investigate. You should be able to fell any slop in swingarm if you put it on the centerstand and try moving the wheel horizontally.

Dumb?

All the bearings seem to be fine. Not too tight and there is no pla in them. I was told ( I don't know why I didn't think of this) the tire pressure could be off. So I hope that solves the problem.

R65LS

Re: Dumb?

R65LS said:
All the bearings seem to be fine. Not too tight and there is no pla in them. I was told ( I don't know why I didn't think of this) the tire pressure could be off. So I hope that solves the problem.

R65LS

Steering head bearings.......

Don't forget.

Hmm?

I just tip the bars to check that right? Because I did that and it went all the way to both sides slowly. So it may be alittle tight unless I did it wrong.

R65LS

Back