• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New '08 1200GS and gear ratios

K

kkirkby

I traded up from my wonderful '95 1100GS to a most wonderful '08 1200GS this summer. What a fantastic machine! I shouldn't grumble but...
What's with the new gear ratios? I have 6 gears instead of 5 now, but the first is effectively a little taller than the first on my 1100 and the sixth is identical to the fifth on the 1100! More gears and less range. I was hoping the sixth would have cut a few hundred rpm off at highway speed and I can't do less than 15mph without feathering the clutch...and all those gears. Overall, minor, but everyone has to complain about something, I guess.:dunno

I would definitely take it out of 6th at 15mph..(Sorry, couldn't help it)

You got a great bike, the new ratios are supposed to improve the off road low speed stuff.
Wish my '06 GS had the new gears.

Feathering a dry clutch will burn it up. A wet clutch on a belt drive bike is much more forgiving. Enjoy the new ride. BTW be sure not to put in synthetic oil until 10K miles. The rings need to seat.
robert

Back