• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S Fairing Dashboard Gauges - alternate choices?

C

CO_G30

Working on finishing off the S fairing addition to my 1987 R80, am shopping around for the gauges that go into it, a voltmeter and a clock apparently. Recently put in an Equus voltmeter, it'll do for now but when it dies, will replace it with a VDO meter as found in link below.

My question is this though, instead of a clock, what other gauge would be more useful and will work on my model airhead? Oil pressure? Oil Temp? Cylinder Temp perhaps? There's many choices at summitracing.com..I'm like a kid at a candy store.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294822101+115+400267

Not too worried about being true to stock since a. My bike did not come with S fairing. B. The fairing's been cut by PO to fit on high handlebars.

Suggestions? Or is my airhead too simple to be able to connect other type gauges to it? Or just not worth the cost to retrofit sending units?

TIA

Great find. I wanted to add an oil pressure gauge to my 78 R100-S and you found more ways for me to spend money. ThatÔÇÖs what IÔÇÖd add. Now where did I put that credit card?
Never mind can I use yours? Thank You.
BMRDAVE

The thinking years ago regarding oil temp and pressure gauges was that if the gauges were accurate and working properly, they would only inform you of a real problem after it had already wreaked its havoc upon the engine. If they were not working properly, they would just cause needless worry and dread when malfunctioning.
If the engine feels really hot when riding (probably just stop-n-go situations), pull over and let it cool down. Even the stock voltmeter is more likely to tell you that the voltmeter is malfunctioing, rather than indicating a charging problem. Maybe a calender would be a good choice, for those long trips on the road?

Personally, I wouldn't add an oil pressure gage which IMO would only create another failure point in a critical system and just give you too much to worry about.

I've always wondered about an EGT or exhaust gas temperature gage...would this be useful on our bikes? Many light aircraft use EGT to properly set the mixture for flying. It might be an interesting tuning aid? :dunno

I put a vdo oil temp gauge on mine mainly to see if the oil cooler was working correctly. The oil rarely gets above 230 deg. So I think I'd rather have the clock.

Ken G.

Back