• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Colors in the Catskills

Post #2 in this thread.

I take it we're still talking about room rates based on the originator's post. ;)

"Where" doesn't really matter. I thought it might have been where Paul lives since he mentioned the price in his post.
The originator's post references the Colors in the Catskills rally event promoted within the pages of the ON and on this web site. CTrod, who entitled this thread Colors in the Catskills, stated that he "called for a price on a room for the rally and was told the cheapest room was $250 a night." Any reasonable person could clearly deduce that his inference applied to lodging in proximity to this specific Catskills Mountains event.

Paul, (who does live near the Adirondack Mountains) stated that he too called, in reference to rally accommodation, a person mentioned in the Owners News article and "found she was on vacation until Friday". Paul received no quote, but did comment that "$250 didn't sound like a discounted room to him". As with post no. 1, we can clearly deduce that his inference applies to lodging in proximity to this specific Catskills Mountains event. Why would Paul, seeking to attend a rally in Hunter, NY seek lodging nearly 80 miles away from where the rally will be held? That makes no sense to me.

That's my only beef with your comments. Otherwise, yes, I agree that $250 might be a tad steep, but for the Northeast, during Autumn colors? New England has us beat by a mile.

Paul might be trying to set up a media Room for his Band of Photographers ? :whistle

I think its part of an evil plan to divert the publics attention away from the real issues of over priced lodging.....:laugh

RM

Ah, he's just biased.

I guess you and a few others are having trouble keeping up.

I'm comparing operating costs here (lower) and there (much higher), yet accomodations here are far more expensive, whereas there, they're far cheaper.

That never made sense to me. It seems the rates are inversely proportional to operating costs.

If this was anywhere else, all of you would be whining about a $250 room rate. Now who is biased?

Alex, please keep mind most of your arguement I agree with you.

Stat, I'm not arguing anything. I'm just amazed at the prices some pay for accomodations on this side of the pond.

The people that started arguing were the ones taking it personal...the my back yard is better than your back yard. This wasn't about back yards, but thats all they saw due to tunnel vision. Anyway, it'll be an absolute-zero day in hell before I donate $250 for any room...and that is the discounted rate??? :laugh

Strange that those same people willing to pay $250 for a room will whine about the price of a BMW oil filter. :whistle

Coffee in Iceland

Mmmmm, yes, I'm flying over for some in September. I'm going to buy gas there, too. If there's any money left after that, the Catskills sound wonderful in October. Thanks to the organizers for the opportunity. I'm sure it will be a fabulous event.

Holly

If this was anywhere else, all of you would be whining about a $250 room rate. Now who is biased?

Who's whining? I meant biased as I could say...
"Man it sure is hot today". And you'd still reply "Not in the Dolomites".

...and while my prof says Gold Bar, WA - I'm from NY and still own property in Warren County. I know all about the "Economics" of the Catskill/Adirondack Region(s).

In the interior if you aren't working for the County... Well... I'll just leave it at that.
I'd never pay $250 a room but I won't slight the locals for asking for it.

Well... Unless they're from the Dolomites. :whistle

I'd never pay $250 a room but I won't slight the locals for asking for it.

It's not the locals that are asking it. This is a high end Hotel/Spa with international time shares. There are other Hotel Spa's in the area that cater to a very exclusive clientele, rooms as high as $2,500 per night. This is the future for this area.

There are lots of rooms available in town if you want to support the locals.

I've slept in the parking lot too...

:laugh Donate :laugh

Come on down you can crash at my pad, you can ruff it there with us.

I'd bring some real beer if I did, but since Paul's place is closer and on the way...he hasn't offered yet.

I know the area well. My dad lived in Windham (thats right by Hunter) for some 25 years.

Now if this is "Hunter's" low season...I'd hate to see their high season rates. It is a ski resort, you know. Cripes, Cortina d'Ampezzo's winter rates aren't even that high and thats a world class ski center. :whistle

Who's whining? I meant biased as I could say...
"Man it sure is hot today". And you'd still reply "Not in the Dolomites".

Actually, its hotter. Touche! :laugh

You're still stuck on the Dolomites and missing the connection....and that connection is (drum roll)...they have great roads (and I won't say better, in fear of hurting fragile feelings) that they could just as easily capitalize on them by asking rediculous room rates, but they don't, and that is on top of higher operating costs.

So some place in nowhere Catskills is asking how much for a room? Get the point?

Anyway, it'll be an absolute-zero day in hell before I donate $250 for any room...and that is the discounted rate??? :laugh

Strange that those same people willing to pay $250 for a room will whine about the price of a BMW oil filter. :whistle

As far as I know, $250 isn't the discounted rate. The room I'm staying in wasn't $250 a night. Call back and ask for the discounted rate, or there is a campground nearby.

I don't whine about the oil filters, but I sure wish having the circlip installed in the transmission of my GSPD was going to be cheaper. :p

This thread is out of control.

All I wanted to know was there a cheaper place to stay. I've never been to this hotel so I can't say if the room is or isn't worth $250 a night, (the price may even have been miss quoted,it sounded like the person I talked to was filling in) it's just more then I wanted to pay. I'll just wait till Monday until the contact person is back from vacation. :bolt

All right, the sky is NOT falling, despite reports to the contrary!

Here are the DISCOUNTED rates for the Kaatskill Hotel, a world class lodging and spa, as well as the on slope condos.....all within walking distance of the
Main Base Lodge and the Motorcycle activities for the first annual Colors in the Catskills event.

DISCOUNTED ON SITE LODGING RATES

Kaatskill Mountain Club

Room Type Rack Rate BMW Group Rate

Studio $250/night $150/1st nt; $135/2nd nt
Studio Deluxe $300/night $175/1st nt; $160/2nd nt
1 BDR Jacuzzi $375/night $300/1st nt; $250/2nd nt
1 BDR Superior $375/night $300/1st nt; $250/2nd nt
2 BDR Suite $500/night $350/1st nt; $325/ 2nd nt
3 BDR Suite $600/night $550/1st nt; $500/ 2nd nt

Liftside Condos

1 BDR Condo $300/night $150/1st nt; $135/2nd nt
2 BDR Condo $475/night $325/1st nt; $300/2nd nt
4 BDR Condo $600/night $550/1st nt; $500/2nd nt

All reserved rooms automatically guaranteed for late arrival
All rooms are non-smoking.
Smoking permitted outdoors, including guestroom balconies
Free hotel and condo parking
Fitness Center is complimentary for all Kaatskill Mountain Club and Liftside Condo guests

Contact Renee Chirico at Hunter to check on availability or make a reservation.
rchirico@huntermtn.com or 518-263-5580 x3021

I would call these some pretty nice discounts, especially considering what some people paid for a far lesser room just recently in a state far to the west of the Catskills. =8^( Not only are the rates discounted for the first night, but you get an additional discount if you stay a second night! Get a couple of friends together and you can have a great place to stay for just about what a night at the KOA would cost you.

Friedle
confusing the arguement with facts

Discounted rates

My negotiating skills are far better than my computer skills. Stop laughing Feeler!

Let me clear up the above posting since I didn't seem to get the spacing to work.

Room Type Rack Rate BMW Group Rate
Studio $250/night $150/1st nt; $135/2nd nt

The room type is a "studio". The rack rate is $250/night. The BMW Group rate is $150 for the first night and $135 for the second night's reservation. Same for the rest of the above post.

Stop laughing Nye!

Friedle

Thanks for helping put this together and for clearing up the rates question.

I am looking forward to it as it's the only rally I will get to this year and it's almost in my own backyard.

Back