• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another one bites the dust

Clutch spline wear is neither an operator malfunction or a service error. It's a part defect or assembly problem. In either case BMW really "owns" the problem but is simply ignoring it whenever they can.

Clutch spline class action suit nets owners and lawyers $$$

I hope somebody out there finds that high-powered lawyer thats going to get all our bikes fixed! BTW, I am working on a Yamaha 49cc scooter that I bought as a non- runner and the rear wheel was a little loose and when I removed it , the wobble was coming from the wheel splines , not the drive shaft stub.Looks like soft metal splines isn't limited to the Teutonic types. Maybe I can use the same guy to help get the scoot repaired?I just got a $265 check from the Burley Tobacco Cooperative class action suit-the lawyer/s got $49 x198,000 people while we(the tobacco base owners) got the couple of hundred of our own $.
I had to get this in, as I just can't miss a chance to dis a lawyer$ :brad $

Very impressive....The dealer offered me $2700 for my bike on trade. Again its an 04 Rockster 16K Bags, Mayer seats, touring screen, fog lights, lotsa other add ons, not a scratch on it. Pretty good deal huh?:deal :clap

Very impressive....The dealer offered me $2700 for my bike on trade. Again its an 04 Rockster 16K Bags, Mayer seats, touring screen, fog lights, lotsa other add ons, not a scratch on it. Pretty good deal huh?:deal :clap

:ha

Yikes

Johnny,
Did you get your parts back yet? Can't wait to see the pics.

If that $2700 had one more zero, I might take them up on it. :) What a bunch of bozo's:bluduh

Being in the market to sell my LT, I'd have to say the dealer offered you a fair price for it. The KBB trade in value is only 5.2 ~ 5.8 K and that for a motorcycle in operating condition. Your's needs some expensive work. So the dealer will take that in to consideration when making an offer. He probbaly just looked at the KBB trade-in value and subtracted the cost of the work to be performed. Granted, he probably pays less for parts & labor then you would, but it's still a fair value.

You would probably be better off to restore your motorcycle to stock (you did keep the opriginal parts didn't you?) and sell all the farkles seperately. Plus if you sell your motorcycle to a private party, you can usually get more money for it

GREAT NEWS!!! Not only are the splines on the clutch disk worn to the nubs, but the input shaft splines are gone too . From the original quote of $1280 to $2120. Naturally the Rep never even looked at the bike when he was there, no warranty, no help. What do you guys think I could make parting the whole bike out? Or do I fix it, ride it the rest of the season and sell it at the beginning of next season? Think I'm gonna throw up just thinking about it. One thing for sure though, I will never own another BMW again.

GREAT NEWS!!! Not only are the splines on the clutch disk worn to the nubs, but the input shaft splines are gone too . From the original quote of $1280 to $2120. Naturally the Rep never even looked at the bike when he was there, no warranty, no help. What do you guys think I could make parting the whole bike out? Or do I fix it, ride it the rest of the season and sell it at the beginning of next season? Think I'm gonna throw up just thinking about it. One thing for sure though, I will never own another BMW again.

Another factory defect ignored by bmw/na :doh Can you post some pics? Is the wear on the input shaft barrel shaped? Splines gone at front and rear but sort of OK in the middle?
I think I would look for a used transmission and just put a new friction disc in it and ride it. Your engine-to-transmission alignment is most probably the cause of your problem. If you just replace the worn parts, it'll fail again in about the same number of miles. 16K is VERY low miles for this failure and you should be able to measure the mis-alignment.

55,532 miles

I have doing alittle after the fact research on this spline problem after I suffered the same failure. I lost my splines on my way home from the AMA Mid Ohio races. It cost me a little over 2K with the parts and UHaul rental. I did the repairs myself so there was no labor, just a few more additions to my tool collection. From what I see, my shaft showed no evidence of being lubed at the factory. I also agree with the chap that thinks the shaft is too short. Unfortunatly, I didn't measure the replacement shaft. What I did discover is that there has been a change in the input shaft design over the years. Mine is a 2000 R1100R built post 7/2000. Meaning I had to buy the whole assembly, not just the shaft. Now the box shifts better than new.

Attachments

• P8010004.e.jpg
    P8010004.e.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 116
I spied a nice looking r1100s in excellant condition at Hermy's BMW dealership. For a fleeting moment I thought about discussing trading my 95 r1100rsl on it. Then I thought about this spline issue. Am I safe to assume that with 37,000 miles on my 95 that I am immune from this problem? Would it be a reasonable request to have a BMW dealership tear down and inspect the assembly prior to selling a used cycle with 26,000 miles on it? Thanks in advance.

Is this problem only the Rockster or all R-bikes and what years? I just found this thread I am looking into an R-bike and retire the K-bike.

I have no idea what percentage of the oilheads have this problem. I think it lives in the R1100 and 1150 models. Road test the considered bike. If the clutch feels like it's hanging up at all, don't accept the bike at book value, knock off the price of the repair, or ask the selling dealer to cover the possibility of repare for an agreed time period. The parts alone cost me a little over 1K.

Didn't one of the gurus write about this recently in one of the Beemer pubs?????

Yes. Anton wrote a very good article about clutch spline failures in the BMW RA magazine, On the Level, about a year ago, I think. I can get the exact issue information if you need it.

Is this problem only the Rockster or all R-bikes and what years?

No. Seems to be more common with the GS and RT's. There was a survey on the BMW Sport Touring forum and the most failures was on the 2002 RT (mine failed). But, that forum is mainly about RT's, so it will seem to have the most failures. There are other forums collecting data an failures, so the information is somewhat scattered across several forums.

I have doing alittle after the fact research on this spline problem after I suffered the same failure. I lost my splines on my way home from the AMA Mid Ohio races. It cost me a little over 2K with the parts and UHaul rental. I did the repairs myself so there was no labor, just a few more additions to my tool collection. From what I see, my shaft showed no evidence of being lubed at the factory. I also agree with the chap that thinks the shaft is too short. Unfortunatly, I didn't measure the replacement shaft. What I did discover is that there has been a change in the input shaft design over the years. Mine is a 2000 R1100R built post 7/2000. Meaning I had to buy the whole assembly, not just the shaft. Now the box shifts better than new.

Your kidding right?? Yours failed going home from Mid Ohio too? We coulda held hands and comforted each other while Mother F*&@ing BMW:german

Belt drives sound pretty good about now huh! I Loved the belt on my old Kawasaki 440. no lube, no muss no fuss!

Not the best pictures but here they are:

P9050636.jpg

P9050635.jpg

P9050618-1.jpg

P9050617.jpg

Back