• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No Synthetic Oil Until 10k??

Gas wasn't the problem. BMW initially blamed it on the oil (well - initially they blamed it on the customers.. that's not a surprise..) used. They then claimed that there were some batches of bad bearings installed, and a bad oil pump. They then did a 2nd go around with the oil pumps (some cars got them twice..) The final outcome was - new bearings, new oil pump, extended engine warranty for anything touched by oil to 100k/6 years, and the new oil specification. There are a lot less reports of them blowing up since they took these actions.. :buds

Sounds to me that it was not just simply the oil, by your own words. Pump, brgs, oil with an extemely high VI, and very thermally stable. (really good oil to save an inheranty flawed design)

The point that I was trying to make is that as long as you use a oil that is rated for the application there should be nothing to worry about. Assuming of course that the engineers did there home work before hand.

But maybe Michelle Moore was right, fear=consumption.

Earl

Sounds to me that it was not just simply the oil, by your own words. Pump, brgs, oil with an extemely high VI, and very thermally stable. (really good oil to save an inheranty flawed design)

The point that I was trying to make is that as long as you use a oil that is rated for the application there should be nothing to worry about. Assuming of course that the engineers did there home work before hand.
Absolutely agree.. in the case of BMW boxer engines, BMW engineers call for SG/SH, and different viscosities for different temperature conditions. I think we can be certain if you follow those recommendations (and change interval recommendations) you won't experience an oil related engine failure. If you venture off into oils that don't meet the specifications, you're taking the risk upon yourself if there is an oil related failure.
But maybe Michelle Moore was right, fear=consumption.

Earl
Who's Michelle Moore? :D

Best,

Definitely not countless, but my discussion about BMW oil was with Don until you butted in.

Start reading at about post #22, and see who "butted in". The discussion was about API classifications and the ZDDP content of various oil brands and API classifications. The discussion NEVER was about using BMW oil vs. using non-BMW oil.

You jumped in with an assertion that BMW could not deny a warranty claim for not using BMW oil. Nobody, including me, disagreed with you on that point. The discussion was whether BMW COULD (and not necessarily WOULD) deny a warranty claim for not using an oil with the specified API classification (i.e., SG/SH). Using BMW brand oil is ONE way to get the SG/SH classification, but it is clearly not the only way.

Just because you are not personnally aware of BMW ever denying a warranty claim based on API classification of the oil does not mean it is not possible. BMW has an history of denying warranty claims based on "blaming the owner" (see Don's posts for examples). You may feel that the risk of warranty claim denial is too small to worry about, and therefore you are comfortable using whatever oil you want. And that's OK by me . . . I won't try to change your decision. But others may not want to take the small risk and may decide to select their oil during the warranty period accordingly (i.e., and use an SG/SH oil).

One of the points of this forum is to disseminate information so people can make informed decisions. Jeez Louise! :(

Last edited:
Hi folks - just a gentle reminder about the whole "play nice" thing in the posting guidelines. Irritating snipes and trolling are best left to forums where they are welcomed.

Thanks!

Will be interesting to see how this one plays out...

THREAD:"under warranty luckily ,but already being questioned about oil & service performed before the dealer will submit anything to BMW"

He drops a valve on a new bike and they question oil? :banghead

What a dealer, because I would avoid them like the plague!

Jim :brow

EDIT: After reading, it looks like the dealer is just getting the facts, they are not saying they will not cover it if he did his own service.

"under warranty luckily ,but already being questioned about oil & service performed before the dealer will submit anything to BMW.Still had dino oil, and I did the 6K prior to the RA due to time constraints and no appt available at dealer."

Last edited:
Nice, real nice!:rolleyes You almost seem happy that you are ALMOST, maybe, being proved correct at someone else's expense.

As seems to be fairly typical, Jim completely misses the point of my post. I do not seem happy at someone else's expense. I personally think it would be terrible if this warranty claim gets denied on the basis of an easily-avoidable maintenance issue.

The point was, and is, while your BMW motorcycle is under the factory warranty, you should follow the BMW specified-maintenance TO THE LETTER (and maybe more), and be able to document it, IF you want to avoid (or at least minimize) the chances of BMW objecting to a warranty claim. That includes using the engine oil specified by BMW. If BMW specifies an SG/SH engine oil (and BMW does not specify a brand of oil, only the API classification and the viscosity), then that is what you should use. After the warranty expires, then you are free to use whatever oil you want, provided you do not expect or care about BMW potentially providing after-the-warranty "good will" coverage.

Just some simple lawyer advice . . . when someone tells you not worry about using the oil specified by BMW during the warranty period, because they are not aware of BMW ever denying a warranty claim based on API classification, be VERY, VERY careful. They are not going to pay for your bike repairs if BMW denies your warranty claim. But, of course, it's YOUR BMW motorcycle, so you are free to do whatever you want. Just don't say you weren't warned.

I respect both opinions, as your points have been well made, and I do hope that one opinion is not justified at someone else's expense. However I will keep my opinion to myself....too many bullets flying in this room!!

Back