• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

bing type 53 carbs vac take-off

Y

yappo

I'VE GOT A PAIR OF THESE ON MY R60/5.I WOULD LIKE TO SYNC UP THE CARBS WITH A CARBMATE OR twinmax type electronic device but these carbs dont have a fitting to hook up too.i called bing and they said anywhere between the slide body and head could be used to pull a vac off.any thoughts if this could work?does the wall thickness have enough meat to drill and tap for a fitting?

bing type 53 vac take off

i posted the question about modifing the type 53 for syncing with a carbmate or twinmax.i am withdrawing my previous querys.i now realize there is a simpler way to sync the 53s.it's the colortune!i just ordered one up.so to all who have viewed my previous question and realized my ineptitude,my apologies for mucking things up.i'm new to this airhead stuff and realize and value the great advice and help you all give so generously.regards to all,brian.

They really have different purposes, although there is some overlap. Colortune isn't really meant for synchronization as such, although I suppose you could do that at some level by trying to "match colors" between cylinders.

I've used both Colortune and Twinmax. I have not had good luck with the Colortune - I've turned mixture screws from WAAAY lean to WAAAY rich with very little change in the color, and that only at the very extremes.

The Twinmax has the other problem - it can be very sensitive, sometimes too much so, but you can adjust that. Overall I've had better success with it for synching carbs. For figuring out if your mixture is too lean or rich, it is of no help, however....

colortune carb sync

when i receive the colortune i will post my experiance with it.i'm half deaf,so that rules out one source of help but i still can see so maybe the colortune can get those bings to cooperate.

Back