• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R 1200 GS Headlight malfunction

jnerges

Hear that ticking sound?
Hello all

I have a 2005 R12 GS. Came home the other day from a ride and noticed a little warning symbol, A little lamp with lines around it and a single arrow pointing up and my main (low beam) head light was out.

The book says it is "Bulb Malfunction". In the book, the indicator shows two arrows, one up and one down. (P. 19 and 43 in the owners manual). I dont know if that makes a difference.

I changed both bulbs, I am sure the new one works because I switched them between the low beam and the high beam? I don't know if this is an electrical fault or bad wire. Just wondering if there is any at home test I could do before bringing it to the dealer.

Has anybody had an experience with this?

Thanks,

John

Check your front turn signals, as well as your little running light bulb.

The book shows two arrows, but only one will be on at a time indicating a front bulb or a rear.

Jim :brow

All the lights work but...

Jim, thanks, all the lights work, flashers, front and rear, the only one out is the main low beam headlight.

Good thing I put the PIAA's on ahead of time.

Dont think the two are related though.

John

Check your front turn signals, as well as your little running light bulb.

The book shows two arrows, but only one will be on at a time indicating a front bulb or a rear.

Did you actually start the bike? The low beam wont come on, and the fault wont clear until you do!

Way to go Jim, That was the exact problem. The high beams worked in the auxilliary position so I thought the low beam would too. If it were a snake it would have bit me.

The fault code only went away after a full start up.

Well, at least somebody else might learn from my knuckleheadedness.

John

Did you actually start the bike? The low beam wont come on, and the fault wont clear until you do!

This one has bit me twice AAARRRRGH good thing I read the old posts.:bikes

Thanks guys and big thanks to the search engines and forum:brad

Pile on

Jim, Just changed my low beam bulb and was frustrated as it still didn't work. Read your post and immediately went to garage to start my bike. Sure enough, the low beam now works as do my axillary . Thanks, you saved me a few hours of confusion!!!! Craig

Jim, Just changed my low beam bulb and was frustrated as it still didn't work. Read your post and immediately went to garage to start my bike. Sure enough, the low beam now works as do my axillary . Thanks, you saved me a few hours of confusion!!!! Craig

Glad I could help! :)

Back