• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Signature line restrictions, WTF

What you believe in this case is immaterial and has no basis in reality. You are entitled to think what you wish however your supposition is not based in fact. The fact that the system does not log who makes changes is greatly regrettable.

It simply stands that the sig lines folks have here on the forum are left at the sufferance of the mods.

It is exactly these sort of pointless, undocumented and unfounded accusations that are a perfect example of why finding volunteers has become seemingly more difficult and that have caused myself and several others I know of to question why we should put ourselves in such a position. Instead of finding a sense of personal reward and satisfaction for our efforts to support the club, we have merely put ourselves in a position of being the target for other members perceived transgressions of our "power", whatever that is supposed to be. No one on the mod team changed your sig line regardless of what you choose to believe and and like it or not your view is equally immaterial and no more based on reality than what you state about Knary's response. In essence your sig line is claiming that we are "hiding" something or are outright lying for some self severing reason and I see it as simply an attempt to insult the mod team.

Believe what you want but that does not make it true and with that I'm done with this topic.

RM

So in response to my experience you provide more "pointless, undocumented and unfounded accusations" claiming I did it to myself. Thanks, you make things so much clearer.

How does the desire for "no advertising in sig lines" result in a 3-line maximum signature? It's a complete non-sequitur.

How does the desire for "no advertising in sig lines" result in a 3-line maximum signature? It's a complete non-sequitur.

i'm not sure it's really a non-sequitur, but i won't split that hair with you right now. :D

with signatures two of the things we want to avoid are commercial interests and annoyingly huge signatures that clutter the board and require lots of scrolling to read the posts. it's an aesthetic quality that we desire for the forums. i think of it as having high SNR - signal to noise ratio. if someone has a post, and it is twenty characters saying, "i liked that road too." and then they have a twenty line list of every bike theyve ever owned, and it fills half the computer screen, that is a low SNR post. the ratio of new, useful information to "boilerplate" information is not good. there are no official laws that govern this, so on each web site, forum leaders make them up as they see fit.

if people have some information about themselves that they feel is incredibly important to append to every single post they make, then it either needs to be brief or it should be in the form of a web address. many people do this well, and i think it is awesome - they'll have a link that says, "read about my motorcycle rides here" or "my motorcycle blog" and you can go to that web address and get lots of good info.

people can also fill out their public profile which can be viewed by everyone by clicking their username in each post. there is plenty of room to list things about ourselves there, and it doesnt need to be appended to every single post - if someone is interested in what i want to tell them about myself, that's always available.

it isnt always perfect, and i hope this helps explain the intent.

I'll bite.

What was the result?

There's not much to bite on. Username already covered it. The advertising issue pointed out how the sig line policy hadn't yet been addressed and that it needed to be. As to whether or not the resultant policy is good or not, I'll leave that up to y'all to decide. :D

I'm tired. Time for a nap. Up late working. Tomorrow I ride my happy bike.

i'm not sure it's really a non-sequitur, but i won't split that hair with you right now. :D

with signatures two of the things we want to avoid are commercial interests and annoyingly huge signatures that clutter the board and require lots of scrolling to read the posts. it's an aesthetic quality that we desire for the forums. i think of it as having high SNR - signal to noise ratio. if someone has a post, and it is twenty characters saying, "i liked that road too." and then they have a twenty line list of every bike theyve ever owned, and it fills half the computer screen, that is a low SNR post. the ratio of new, useful information to "boilerplate" information is not good. there are no official laws that govern this, so on each web site, forum leaders make them up as they see fit.

if people have some information about themselves that they feel is incredibly important to append to every single post they make, then it either needs to be brief or it should be in the form of a web address. many people do this well, and i think it is awesome - they'll have a link that says, "read about my motorcycle rides here" or "my motorcycle blog" and you can go to that web address and get lots of good info.

people can also fill out their public profile which can be viewed by everyone by clicking their username in each post. there is plenty of room to list things about ourselves there, and it doesnt need to be appended to every single post - if someone is interested in what i want to tell them about myself, that's always available.

it isnt always perfect, and i hope this helps explain the intent.

I'm not sure if you answer means you have reviewed the policy and it stands?

At any rate, the 3 line policy has not been enforced. As you already know from our conversations, I think you should either enforce policy or change it.

there is a new sig line policy coming someday. to be candid, i have higher priorities for the forums right now. my thinking is that if i have rabbits eating my vegetables, it's better to spend time constructing a fence than it is to pluck small weeds from the garden.

in the interim, i continue to be grateful to people that wait and see, even if it seems to take forever and it seems silly to have any delay whatsoever.

Bud,
A little patience is a good thing. :D

I've been a PT patient for several weeks now.:D

When I talked to Lee at the board meeting I got the impression that it was only going to be a couple of weeks. I guess I was wrong. Have been before and will be again.

there is a new sig line policy coming someday. to be candid, i have higher priorities for the forums right now. my thinking is that if i have rabbits eating my vegetables, it's better to spend time constructing a fence than it is to pluck small weeds from the garden.

in the interim, i continue to be grateful to people that wait and see, even if it seems to take forever and it seems silly to have any delay whatsoever.

In that case, I will wait and see.

Sibud,

When it comes to boards the phrase "two weeks" is a specifically vague length of time that can be anything from 14 days to some two week period in the next decade. It's kind of like that sign in front of the pub that says, "free beer, tomorrow". :drink :stick

Sibud,

When it comes to boards the phrase "two weeks" is a specifically vague length of time that can be anything from 14 days to some two week period in the next decade. It's kind of like that sign in front of the pub that says, "free beer, tomorrow". :drink :stick

I think you are wrong. The sign says "Free Beer Yesterday" :D

Lee,

Thanks for the explanation. I was not aware of the multiple sig-line policy goals, just the non-advertising one.

Back