• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

honestly, How many are waiting for a 800?

KUTCHER

With the well known and publicly poked latency of the 800GS...

How many are really waiting out the entire season for one?

My interest was peeking just as they announced it was ready for release.
I even had the "wife-buy-in"...

Since then its been a struggle justifying the wait. / "One bike kinda' guy..."
-And I just sold the F650 today...

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do...:blush

I could go the X Challenge route, or even a pre-owned F800ST.

:dunno :dunno :dunno

Maybe a little something to just hold me over till I can actually test ride one.

I'm interested in taking a look at one if/when they show up. But I'm certainly not "waiting" for an 800, I've got two perfectly good DS (650 Dakar, GSPD) bikes already with plenty of farkle potential left in them.

I'm waiting for one......

to come up for sale used and pre-farkled. Or at least not for a couple years for a new one. Might even be one built by then. :whistle :bolt

The post is entitled "honestly, How many are waiting for a 800?" and then turns narrowly focused on the F800GS.

At the Cycle World show in Phoenix in October 2006, I test sat on an F800ST and an F800S. Then I test rode both in early March 2007, and have owned a Sunset Yellow F800S since March 10, 2007.

So, whose waiting? You don't know what you are missing!:bikes

I'm waiting for the 800GS but not forever because I'm eyeing the Honda Varadero, MSRP 13,999 includes ABS and it is available today.. We stiil have 2 feet of snow on the ground here so I can afford to wait for awhile.

800gs

I'm interested but until I see and ride one....and wait for them to be in the US for a year I'm not changing. I have an '01 R1150GS and a '03 F650 Dakar. If a 800GS will do 85% of what both of those will do in a single cycle. Then I'd probaly step forward with $$.

I have a deposit in for an F650GS. The R11GS is OK for the highway but I would like something that handles faster on the back roads.

I WAS interested in the 800GS until I sat on one at the CW show. My feet were a good 3+ inches off the ground. I'm not interested in all the hoo-ha that comes with lowering kits and shocks. I wanted something I could ride out of the show room.

Too late now. I bought the Norge.

I'm just hoping it shows up sometime before I get to 100,000 on my 1150gs. It's gonna be tougher to sell with the higher mileage.

I spent most of the winter getting excited about the F800GS and when I found out that it was slipping to Oct release, I was heart broken. I had been riding a '99 Moto Guzzi Bassa for a couple of years and was ready for a new ride that I wouldn't have to wait months to get parts. So, with the slip and the need to trade, I started looking for a new F650GS... The wife and I went to look at one and she noticed that every time she turned around, I was gawking at the R1200GS...Long story short...I am now the proud owner of my first BMW...an '08 R1200GS. So I'm not waiting anymore and awfully happy about it.

Last year I considered waiting for the GS when the F800S & ST came out. I got the ST instead and really consider it the best bike I've owned, including 6 other BMWs.

I still wanted something for back roads and trails, so this is what I brought home this week:

Attachments

• DSCN1066 (648 x 486).jpg
    DSCN1066 (648 x 486).jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 218
Dave: Would you please keep me/us informed about any modifications?!

Last year I considered waiting for the GS when the F800S & ST came out. I got the ST instead and really consider it the best bike I've owned, including 6 other BMWs.

I still wanted something for back roads and trails, so this is what I brought home this week:

Hello Dave,

I was very interested in buying an F800GS, the 2nd person in Arizona to put down his $500 on the machine. And the first to get his deposit back when BMW pooped on its customers by not giving us the bike until 2009 at an unknown price!

I had been communicating here with Kutcher regarding the replacement of this machine, due to my having sold my Kawasaki KLR 650 awaiting the BMW F800GS.

In a stroke of luck, I was able to buy back my KLR from friend that had bought it!

But I'm still looking for a more powerful replacement for the KLR. On this website and at www.azbeemers.org I have chronicled my trips to Mexico's Copper Canyon; and that is the type of machine for those types of roads I'm looking for. Able to keep up with my GS/KTM/Honda friends on highway and dirt.

Something with enough HP to handle Freeway/Autopista on US10/19 and Mexico 15 to Hermosillo, but then dirt worthy enough to get me to Batopilas from Creel.

Your Triumph Scrambler weighs the same as the BMW F800GS and has similar horsepower. What it needs is more ground clearance and tire/fender clearance!

If you make any off road improvements or modifications to your Triumph Scrambler would you please be so kind as to let me/us know. I would happily make the move from BMW to Triumph if your 900 can be set up for Barrancas del Cobre!

First I'm waiting for one of you guys to figure out what will break. Then I'm waiting for the next guy to buy the one that doesn't break so quick but realize that it isn't what he wanted. :evil

Your Triumph Scrambler weighs the same as the BMW F800GS and has similar horsepower.

:dunno
The Scrambler makes, IIRC, something like 55 hp or so on a good day, not the 85 or so HP of the F800 (both at the crank ratings). That's a HUGE difference in power. The Scrambler makes similar power per pound as the F650GS.

First I'm waiting for one of you guys to figure out what will break. Then I'm waiting for the next guy to buy the one that doesn't break so quick but realize that it isn't what he wanted. :evil

Wise choice!

And by the way, that Scrambler is one Sweeeeet bike. I have a love affair with the older version in the good old days.

How many miles on it? How do you like it, enough power, and any vibration? How's the chain?

(Sorry for the partial hijack)

Easy :german

ÔÇ£Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory.ÔÇØ
Franklin Pierce Adams

Back