• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chinese Made BMW Boxer Engines?

• Thread starter gulfcoastbeemer
  • Start date
G

gulfcoastbeemer

Motorcycle-USA.com is reporting that "BMW has now admitted that they have the engines for the G650Xcountry made in China."

Is this true?

Also, Motorcycle-USA.com is reporting there are rumors that BMW is looking into marketing "cheap (Chinese-made) Boxer-engined bikes... Apparently, the idea is to offer lower-spec machines as an entry level to the brand..."

Talk about diluting a quality brand. Please, say this ain't so.

What's next, making the Rolls-Royce engines in China to save a buck?

When I was in Mexico last fall and Balize just recently I saw some pretty strange brands of bikes, some of which I could not find any info on anywhere on the net. Some lovely 250cc Dynamo "cruisers" among them. And plenty of the old (new) honda 50's like from the song by the Beach Boys "My Little Honda" and VW still makes the old bug for the overseas markets (outside of Europe), they just aren't as demanding I guess?:laugh

RM

I have read that Kymco is building the G450 engine for BMW and shipping it back to Germany for assembly into the bike. Beyond that there are all sorts of rumors related to the Chinese market.

The boxer engine rumor is probably based on the Chiang Jiang motorcycles which are basically a copy of a 1939 BMW. They are kind of a neat bike set up at the factory with sidecars. It sounds that in the hands of someone mechanically inclined they can be refined into something fairly reliable. See also URAL, Dneper. Check out the Russian Iron website and the Soviet Steeds website. Also check out Mr. Cob videos at you tube. Pretty amazing stuff!

Last week I was at a local dealer. The one sales rep. said he just returned from a meeting with BMW. The meeting was on the west coast somewhere. He mentioned to me that the G450 has some sort of Chinese connection. Can anyone else confirm this meeting and more of it's content?

Motorcycle-USA.com is reporting that "BMW has now admitted that they have the engines for the G650Xcountry made in China."

Is this true?

Also, Motorcycle-USA.com is reporting there are rumors that BMW is looking into marketing "cheap (Chinese-made) Boxer-engined bikes... Apparently, the idea is to offer lower-spec machines as an entry level to the brand..."

Talk about diluting a quality brand. Please, say this ain't so.

What's next, making the Rolls-Royce engines in China to save a buck?

Motorcycle engines that say B M W, but are Made in Taiwan.

Starting down a slippery slope............... .

Last edited:
Starting down a slippery slope............... .[/QUOTE]

This is not the start. The global outsoursing has been going on for quite some time, the alt. on my 07 RT is a Bosch and its made in India! Just the way it is now. The important thing to keep in mind is where is the part designed and enginered. Don't matter where is made, as long as it meets the specs.

Earl

Don't matter where is made, as long as it meets the specs.

If your dog died after eating tainted animal feed (designed and engineered in the U.S), containing "spec'ed" wheat glutin from China, you might feel differently.

Then again, they eat dogs in China.

made in china

just listen to the news.
one week its food made in china, posioning the japanese.
next week its tainted dog food.
next week its defective auto tires.
next weeks its counterfiet perscription drugs.
the list just goes on and on.
and we just keep on importing and purchasing.
american consumers are their own worst enemy.

Not much new here!

My 1978 R100/7, I bought new, had "KOYO" wheel bearings, from the factory in 1978:). My dealer said, NO way and I had to prove it to him, 30 years ago! HD parts are made in Japan, suspension, etcetc. You can go on and on with all this...Most recently, BMW has had rear end failures(the past 6 years) and where do you think the bearings are made? Anybodies guess! Follow the money and you will find deals made in all parts of the world for just about anything. Randy13233:usa

Never know what is going to happen when you start down this road. First thing they start making BMW engines in Austria, then they build cars with the BMW logo in places like the Carolinas, then they outsource to India after building MINI engines in Brazil, heck I would be POÔÇÖd if I was China coming in fifth or more.:stick

I realize we live in a global economy, with out sourced parts, but when I started this thread I was referring to and thinking of complete engines -- which I believe is the case with the Chinese built, BMW/Rotax designed G650 engine.

How would you feel about a new BMW R-series motorcycle that has at its heart a completely Chinese-built engine, albeit a BMW designed engine? This is my question.

Last edited:
Outsourcing has been going on for years, Its not all just India and China.

After over 1,000,000 units Honda is insourcing the assembly of the Goldwing from Marysville Ohio back to Japan. Completely the opposite direction of BMW. The quote from their press release follows

"This move allows us to improve the competitiveness and appeal of our products by applying the latest technologies and production systems at one efficient location," said Akio Hamada, president and chief executive of Honda of America."

Maybe this move signals the next trend in the industry. Its definately easier to control everything when its under one roof. Maybe its just Japan protecting their jobs. who knows.

I always thought you get the best quality when the folks building the parts know they are going on a vehicle that will share the road with them. Its a little motivation you lose when you outsource.

The US was the biggest market for the Goldwing and it made sense to me that it was built here. Maybe China will be a big market for the 450 who knows its a growing economy.

In the end you have to trust the brand to handle outsourcing correctly and maintain their quality and reputation. At least they are being open about the move and informing the dealers before the bike gets here.

MJuskiw
Akron Ohio

I realize we live in a global economy, with out sourced parts, but when I started this thread I was referring to and thinking of complete engines -- which I believe is the case with the Chinese built, BMW/Rotax designed F650 engine.

How would you feel about a new BMW R-series motorcycle that has at its heart a completely Chinese-built engine, albeit a BMW designed engine? This is my question.

If I knew it advance it would affect my purchasing decision:
I most likely would not buy the first year model and would most likely wait until some history came in.

If I found out after I bought Id be a bit upset.

Mjuskiw
kron Oh

I work part time in a BMW dealership.

We have not heard of ANY Chinese built boxer engines or G650 engines for BMW .

BMW is sourcing the new 450 engine from Kymco, a Tawain based (Chinese) company.

Just to put this into perspective, Honda engines for certain sizes and models have used Chinese built Honda engines for many many years.

The rumor has been around for a while... But I don't see whats the problem...

Look at your chevy, GMC, Ford or any other American car... The only thing American about these "American" auto makers are they are put togather in the USA. All the parts are made in Asia. Mainly China...

The G650X engines are now made in China. Were made in Italy, but were turned over to a company in China. The G450X engine is also made it China.

I realize we live in a global economy, with out sourced parts, but when I started this thread I was referring to and thinking of complete engines -- which I believe is the case with the Chinese built, BMW/Rotax designed G650 engine.

A brand-new high end Beemer with a Chinese-built engine? I'd be pissed. And hearing "Oh well - we live in a global economy, so get used to it" from a BMW salesman might lead to an outburst of unprofessional language.

Engineered in Germany is all well and good, but manufactured and assembled in a country known for sneaking things past us every chance they get (lead-based paint on our children's toys / tainted pet food / defective tires / etc.,etc.,etc.) would ultimately prove a substandard product, and BMW would then become 'just like any other brand,' instead of the marque many of us are proud of.......for now.

The only thing American about these "American" auto makers are they are put togather in the USA.

Actually, my previous truck, a good old American Ford F150, was made in Canada. VW assembles it's German engineered vehicles for the US market in an expanded Puebla, Mexico, plant.

The point being, I find the premium price tag of BMW motorcycles, and the phrase, "Made in China", incongruent.

Plus, if the issue is German Engineering (actually Austrian engineering in the case of the G650); how long do you think it will take for the Chinese to once again pirate the design and the engineering -- as they have done with everything from iPods to missiles.

SAT question: BMW is to "Made in China" as China is to "intellectual property rights". True or False.

Back