• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Angled valve stems

COOP28

Where can I get angled valve stems for my R1150R so that it is easier to check tire pressure and to pump up tires? Or is there a better way? Thanks.

I think A&S BMW has screw on 90 degree adapters which will do the same thing and you wont have to remove the wheels and tires. I have one and it works great!

I left one on to see, felt no noticeable wobble at any speed, now I just keep it in the "tire repair kit" I swap to the bike I am riding. I keep one on my airchuck in shop also...my local dealer had them as does A&S as mentioned...$12 sounds familiar

At the Redmond National Rally i asked the Metzler guy to mount up a set of angled valve stems for me. He did not want to do it, but would if i insisted ("customer is always right, even when they're wrong"). Said that they add angular weight and pressure to the rubber stem, possibly leading to a catastrophic failure. Said best to thread an angled adapter onto the valve stem for checking pressure, and then removing. I followed his recommendations.

You can/will do as you see fit (see, it amazes me as to how many riders will still do the "wrong" thing, as they know bette than the pros. whatever)

I think A&S BMW has screw on 90 degree adapters which will do the same thing and you wont have to remove the wheels and tires. I have one and it works great!

If you leave those on your wheel when riding you WILL eventually have a failure. They are not designed for road use. If you don't, they are a pain in the @SS!

www.motorcycleanchor.com is the way to go!

P9204702.jpg

This is what I use on my bike!

Jim :brow

Jim..Comment on Metzler Dealers Advice?

At the Redmond National Rally i asked the Metzler guy to mount up a set of angled valve stems for me. He did not want to do it, but would if i insisted ("customer is always right, even when they're wrong"). Said that they add angular weight and pressure to the rubber stem, possibly leading to a catastrophic failure. Said best to thread an angled adapter onto the valve stem for checking pressure, and then removing. I followed his recommendations.

You can/will do as you see fit (see, it amazes me as to how many riders will still do the "wrong" thing, as they know bette than the pros. whatever)

OK...was the Metzler Man commenting on put-on-fill-remove [or leave on] 90 degree adapters or the ones Jim lists? I am putting on the ones Jim has when I install my TKC80s in a few weeks...

Wondered about balancing issue since these stems are off-center ...but mass is very low..and I will be balancing tire/wheels/stems as a unit anyway..

OK...was the Metzler Man commenting on put-on-fill-remove [or leave on] 90 degree adapters or the ones Jim lists? I am putting on the ones Jim has when I install my TKC80s in a few weeks...

Wondered about balancing issue since these stems are off-center ...but mass is very low..and I will be balancing tire/wheels/stems as a unit anyway..

They are lighter than the rubber ones, and I can't imagine the 2-3 grams of off side weight will be noticable. I balanced mine normally and haven't felt any difference.

Best part is, you never need to replace them. (OK, never is not 100%, but close enough)

On my GS I have the ones Wunderlich sells ( I think they were $17+ shipping each) and they look almost identical to ones in link. Over 20,000 miles and no problems. In reading the objection to angled valve stems by guy mounting tires I don't believe it applies as the angle stems I have do not contain a rubber stem.

With the screw on type you run the risk of a cut valve stem. It happened to a friend of mine in the middle on nowhere. The tire dealer said that it puts too much stress on the rubber valve stem through centrifugal force and drag and higher speed. I am not 100% sure that it caused the cut valve stem but it sure seems plausible.

Where can I get angled valve stems for my R1150R so that it is easier to check tire pressure and to pump up tires? Or is there a better way? Thanks.

Ivan,
I use this one for my rear wheels:
http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merch..._Code=P&Product_Code=17-560&Category_Code=6-3

I use this one for my front wheels:
http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merch..._Code=P&Product_Code=17-561&Category_Code=6-3

They also have 90 degree stems but I have never used them:
http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merch..._Code=P&Product_Code=17-562&Category_Code=6-3

The .453 size fits my R1100RT and K1100LT perfectly.

This brass, valve adapter:
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2123
should never be left installed on your wheels.

Last edited:

he was talking about the ones mounted thru the rim, not threaded on for temp usage, as the ones he did not want to install. claimed centrifigal forces would put greater force on one side of the stem than the other.
maybe yes, maybe no, but why challenge it? i just use an angled thread-on for checking/filling, no worries.

Ah but the permanent ones require removing and reinstalling the tires. MAJOR hassle unless you are replacing the tires!

Yes, you have to remove the tires, part way ONCE! But you don't have to put it on and take it off every single time you want to check your tires forever.

One short hassle, and forever more it will be easy.

I've had great success with the Patchboy 45 degree stems, however the guys that did my last tire change when I was "on the road" (with a new set of stems I carry as spares) overtightened the nut inside the wheel. As a result, I discovered a slow air leak of 4psi in 24hrs. Had to have them re-set when I got home.

Back