• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Generic oil filter

My 74 Beetle didnt even HAVE an oil filter and the bearings, lifters, oil pump etc lasted 250,000 miles. PLUS it only had 2.5 quarts of oil in the sump.

My 74 Beetle didnt even HAVE an oil filter and the bearings, lifters, oil pump etc lasted 250,000 miles. PLUS it only had 2.5 quarts of oil in the sump.

Neither did my 70 Beetle, but I also changed the oil very often. The potential problems with using substandard oil filters are more than just lower oil filtration efficiency.

That's the problem with oil filters . . . you have no issues until you have "issues". Then, it's too late. :violin

i would say dozens of long distance rider's and several well respected oilhead mechanic's opinions are all the reassurance i need for the above mentioned Purolator. not to mention plenty of "oil filter" tests that they passed with flying colors.

i went with it over stock because of its high degree of "recommendedness" and relative "cost effectiveness".

i would say dozens of long distance rider's and several well respected oilhead mechanic's opinions are all the reassurance i need for the above mentioned Purolator. not to mention plenty of "oil filter" tests that they passed with flying colors.

i went with it over stock because of its high degree of "recommendedness" and relative "cost effectiveness".

Well, I guess that means you feel you KNOW FOR SURE that the Purolator filter is at least equivalent to the BMW filter. Heck, if they only cost $2 or so (from an earlier post), I may buy one and cut it apart just to see what it looks like inside.

Always looking to save a little money . . . as long as it's smart money. ;)

Neither did my 70 Beetle, but I also changed the oil very often. The potential problems with using substandard oil filters are more than just lower oil filtration efficiency.

The PO of my 96 GS changed the oil every 3k miles for 83,000 miles! Its only a retorical argument to use only factory approved oil filters. In reality the aftermarket ones work just as well.

Pl10241

I just checked Purolator's web page. Correct if I'm wrong here.

The PL10241 oil filter seems to be a PureOne automobile oil filter (nothing inherently wrong with that) that just happens to have the same threads and is about the same physical size as the BMW motorcycle oil filter. From Purolator's web page, the Purolator BMW motorcycle oil filter is ML16825, which is "only" a Premium Plus filter. It looks like the PL filter is slightly longer and has a slightly smaller OD than the ML filter. The ML relief pressure is 14 psi and the PL relief pressure is 12-17 psi.

The premium Plus L10241 fits the same filter wrench as the BMW filter (76mmX14 flute) I believe the PureOne is the same size.

The premium Plus L10241 fits the same filter wrench as the BMW filter (76mmX14 flute) I believe the PureOne is the same size.

I believe the specs for the ML16825 stated an OD of 3.08" and the specs for the PL10241 stated an OD 2.98" Easy enough the physically check in person if you can use the same filter wrench.

This debate will go on at naseum, but there are plenty of vehicles with either a BMW filter or a Purolator filter and have no problems. I have used the PL filter series on my trucks for many years and never had any problems. If you want to spend the extra money on a Mahle/BMW branded filter than fine, do it. IMHO it is rediculous to think that a $17,= BMW filter is going to be 3 times better than a $ 5,= filter. BMW bike engines don't need BMW branded 'miracle' products to make them work. I have 48K on my bike with both BMW and Purolator filters used. Just my 0.02 cts. YMMV

This debate will go on at naseum, but there are plenty of vehicles with either a BMW filter or a Purolator filter and have no problems. I have used the PL filter series on my trucks for many years and never had any problems. If you want to spend the extra money on a Mahle/BMW branded filter than fine, do it. IMHO it is rediculous to think that a $17,= BMW filter is going to be 3 times better than a $ 5,= filter. BMW bike engines don't need BMW branded 'miracle' products to make them work. I have 48K on my bike with both BMW and Purolator filters used. Just my 0.02 cts. YMMV

ditto (and that goes to everyone who uses a FRAM filter on their four wheeled vehicle)..........

and i'm not as cheap as the 7 dollar tarp i sometimes use as a tent at rallies. (if i even set up a tent and don't sleep in the bivy sack next to the bike.):laugh

using oem stuff is good. using an equivalent is generally just as good. if my Purolator filter ever proves itself to be the cause of an engine related failure on my bike, i'll buy you all a beer. if my final drive or transmission fails, you owe me.:bolt

OK guys I'd like to add my .02.

Points To Consider

All the BMW's I've ever changed the oil in was Cleaner that anything I've ever seen. (Cars, trucks and lots of other motorcycles) This tells me that the engines operate super clean so there's not much concern for filters. With all the replacement filters being designed for a Car with larger engines... they should be fine on a bike. Even if the filter is a total failure (and still flows oil and doesn't leak) it's not going to destroy your Beemer engine. Last but not least, any idea how many bikes are on the road that do not have Oil Filters?

I've said this before but I'm not afraid the eliminate the filter on my RT and ride if forever. With oil changes and as clean as they run I doubt that no filter for normal highway usage will make 3% difference in longevity.

The only minor concern for a replacement filter would be if it had a check valve or not. Last oil change I screwed a cheap A$$ Fram on my '99 RT. Why? 'Cause I can walk into our Local Chinese Walmart and get the filter and oil right off the shelf (and my BMW Stealer is 60 miles away).

Yes, I am a mechanic (auto, motorcycle, marine and industrial) and have been for 35 years. Be more concerned about your Air Filter (or oil) if you want to worry!

Mike

Fram Filters

Try Fram part #PH6063. I've seen these at Wallyworld.

Here's the link. Ain't da internet great?

http://www.power-21.com/HoneywellPower21i/RelatedInfo.aspx?b=F&f=FRAM/framrv_motorcycle_1211.pdf

There has been a lot of dicussion about the failures of Fram filters on the net. I have a friend whose Mustang engine was replaced by them after the oil filter disintegrated. They have probably corrected the problem, but IMHO, I would pick up another brand if I had the choice. They appear to be a 'bottom of the market' product.
:type

There has been a lot of dicussion about the failures of Fram filters on the net. I have a friend whose Mustang engine was replaced by them after the oil filter disintegrated. They have probably corrected the problem, but IMHO, I would pick up another brand if I had the choice. They appear to be a 'bottom of the market' product.

No personal knowledge of this, although I have not used a Fram filter for more than 30 years (I think I put one on my VW Scirocco once).

I don't think anyone here has said you HAVE to use the BMW/Mahle oil filter on your BMW motorcycle, but at least with that you can be assured you are using a quality, high-efficiency, well-manufactured product that has a very low probability of a defect. If there are cheaper options out there that provide essentially the same result, then I will certainly consider them. The Purolator filter seems to be a potential option (I think they are also suppliers to Porsche - one of my 911 filters says "Micronic" on it - in addition to Mahle), but the Fram filters . . . maybe not so much.

Thanks for all the good input on this. :thumb

The cheapest thing on a BMW...

Ah yes the perennial sarcastic retort that contains no information, confirmation, testing or authority other than scorn and proves only the author's contention that money is the only solution for anything. Well done.

"Poor people" obviously are simply not worthy of buying, riding or working on a BMW. You satisfy the BMW status advertising paradigm very well.

Ah yes the perennial sarcastic retort that contains no information, confirmation, testing or authority other than scorn and proves only the author's contention that money is the only solution for anything. Well done.

"Poor people" obviously are simply not worthy of buying, riding or working on a BMW. You satisfy the BMW status advertising paradigm very well.

Lost your sense of humor this morning, Mike? :buds

I have learned to ignore remarks like that, unless I resemble them..:laugh :laugh

More confused now

The closest dealer is 80 some miles away so I thought a good generic would do. Checked at Walmart, Auto Zone and Oreillys but no luck finding what was suggested. Flying to Ohio in a couple of weeks. Will just hold off and buy one at BMW dealer.

Thanks for all the input.

Back