• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas Smell on 1100r

I was wondering if there were any "techy" people out there who might could speculate on a problem on my 1100r. Once I have reached RPM's of about 4-5 on my bike, you can smell gasoline pretty bad. No sign of leakage though. Doesn't seem to have any acceleration problems though. Also, my last tank of gas was only 33 mpg. Any ideas of what might be the problem? Sure seems to be running "rich"

Thanks for the help!!

That bike - OEM - has a charcoal cannister to collect tank vented fumes and to release the fumes back into the combustion stream through the throttle bodies. So, if OEM, you should not smell fumes. If the cannister has been removed or bypassed then the tank is vented to atmosphere and you might smell fumes standing in the sun. I would not expect to smell anything going down the road.

If by rpm 4-5 you mean riding at that rpm it is one thing. If you mean parked and reving the engine it could be something else.

If you mean riding at 4-5K rpm the smell shows up you either have a very rich running motor or a liquid fuel leak. I would do a chop test! That is, in advance pick a convenient spot where you can pull of the highway by coasting in. A roadside park or picnic area works, so do some convenience store lots. Approach at 4K to 5K and kill the engine - then coast to park. Let it cool so you don't burn yourself for 10 or 15 minutes and then pull and examine the spark plugs. They should be dry, and light tan. If wet you have a big problem. If sooty it is way too rich.

If it is running rich you need to make sure the TPS is set right, and ought to get any ECU fault codes checked. You could have a bad temperature sensor or some other fault.

That bike - OEM - has a charcoal cannister to collect tank vented fumes and to release the fumes back into the combustion stream through the throttle bodies. So, if OEM, you should not smell fumes. If the cannister has been removed or bypassed then the tank is vented to atmosphere and you might smell fumes standing in the sun. I would not expect to smell anything going down the road.

If by rpm 4-5 you mean riding at that rpm it is one thing. If you mean parked and reving the engine it could be something else.

If you mean riding at 4-5K rpm the smell shows up you either have a very rich running motor or a liquid fuel leak. I would do a chop test! That is, in advance pick a convenient spot where you can pull of the highway by coasting in. A roadside park or picnic area works, so do some convenience store lots. Approach at 4K to 5K and kill the engine - then coast to park. Let it cool so you don't burn yourself for 10 or 15 minutes and then pull and examine the spark plugs. They should be dry, and light tan. If wet you have a big problem. If sooty it is way too rich.

If it is running rich you need to make sure the TPS is set right, and ought to get any ECU fault codes checked. You could have a bad temperature sensor or some other fault.

Your a God..........:bow

I was wondering if there were any "techy" people out there who might could speculate on a problem on my 1100r. Once I have reached RPM's of about 4-5 on my bike, you can smell gasoline pretty bad. No sign of leakage though. Doesn't seem to have any acceleration problems though. Also, my last tank of gas was only 33 mpg. Any ideas of what might be the problem? Sure seems to be running "rich"

Thanks for the help!!

On my R11RT-P if I fail to mash hard enough on the gas cap after a fill-up I get gas smell as I get up to speed - with the seal not made, the fumes waft up in the air bubble behind the fairing and into my sizeable snout. :banghead

My 'R smelled like gas, too, until finally one day a fuel line popped off and dumped gas all over the side of the bike. I'd check the hose clamps real careful like.

No Canister

Thanks for the current input regarding the fume/fuel issue with the 95 R. My wife posted this recently (as scotchale!), but I've only now been online to look over it.

The Charcoal canister was removed by the previous owner. I'll be backtracking the fuel lines as well. Local club member had similer problems with a fuel line connector rotting away.

I hope to see "dry" plugs, but it probably won't surprise me to see them wet. I'll do a test run on Sunday probably. Weather hasn't been too cooperative lately and I haven't been in town either.

The throttle is closing well when released, ie-based on a seminar at Wisconsin conducted by Glaves, the injectors are shutting off when throttle released. Unlike my RT with many miles on it now...I can tell the injectors are not fully shutting off when releasing throttle/decelerating on the RT, but that's a separate issue/bike.

My current assumption is that something is causing the computer to keep the injectors open longer, thus running richer than it should.

I'll keep an eye on this topic for other input and have some answer on Monday after the weekend.

Scotchale

Back