• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Buy a GS1200 or GS1200 Adventurer?

N

nygsrider

Hi all,

I am about to upgrade from my old 96 GS to either a new GS 1200 or a new GS 1200 Adventure and had a few questions for other GS riders, especially Adventure riders.
I live on Long Island, NY and most of my riding will be on asphalt or at worst riding on hard pack occasionally for camping. I understand that the Adventure is for more rugged riding but there are a few things about it that make it desirable as a long haul touring. The pros:
- Large gas tank
- Extra weight for when those 18 wheelers go by
- Better suspension for the potholes
- Better Windshield for highway driving
The biggest negative to me is the extra width of the gas tank. However, I am not one to cut lanes so IÔÇÖm not that concerned. The extra weight around town isnÔÇÖt a big deal since I wonÔÇÖt need to fill up the 8 gallons unless IÔÇÖm on the road, around town I can just keep 4 or 5 gallons in it.

Anyone feeling chatty :buds ?

Thanks Paul

I've only ridden the reg'lar GS, but to me the only huge real-world difference would seem to be the fuel tank size. And that boils it down to one question: how many miles is your bladder good for?

Oh yeah, that too. I wish my reg'lar GS had that lower first, and I read somewhere that for 2008 the reg'lar models will get it. Might have to find a sucker with whom to swap gearboxes... :deal

I agonized over this decision for about 18 months. I'm a very similar rider to you, lots of long haul and not much in the way of crazy off-roading.

I went with the adventure for all the reasons you listed. Other reasons include the bike's great and cavernous luggage. I also believe that it may retain a slightly better resale value, but that's just a guess. The fuel tank capacity is wonderful. The bags are wider than the tank, but in truth, neither prevents lane splitting.

I moved from an 1150RT and I never looked back; it's a wonderful motorcycle that has given me 15,000 trouble free miles in six months.

If you're going to get one, take a hard look at an '08. They've done some gearing changes that look pretty appealing to me.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

If I could do it again, I'd go with the adventure. Not because I'm a hard-core off roader (I'm NOT) but because it has those features that make for better touring. I love mine, but by the time I put the bigger tank and windsheild on, I could have paid for a factory adventure:doh

I've owned both.

I prefer the 12GS ADV for its size (I'm 6'4"), its range, its stock wind protection (screen, winglets, tank), and its gnarly looks.

I liked the 12GS for its lighter weight. I'm also of the opinion I'd rather go down that dirt road on the lighter 12GS than the ADV. Believe the vast majority would never need the extra suspension travel found on the ADV.

Thanks for all the info...

Thanks for all the information and opinions. I am definitely going with the GS Adventure.
I am 6ÔÇÖ2ÔÇØ and expanding so height should not be a problem and I think that all the extras that come stock on the Adventure easily negate the extra money.

Of course this decision could change at any moment (IÔÇÖm driving my wife crazy), but for now itÔÇÖs a definite maybe!

Thanks, Paul

get the GSA....

Thanks for all the information and opinions. I am definitely going with the GS Adventure.
I am 6’2” and expanding so height should not be a problem and I think that all the extras that come stock on the Adventure easily negate the extra money.

Of course this decision could change at any moment (I’m driving my wife crazy), but for now it’s a definite maybe!

Thanks, Paul

I sense you're like me and are looking for a logical reason to support what is likely an emotional decision. If you're in NYC, you really don't NEED what the GSA adds. I've got a GS and am more than happy with it for all of the reasons mentioned in previous posts. I prefer the lighter weight, sleeker look [oxymoron], etc.

However, there IS something cool about the GSA, and it's rugged, macho stature. Get the GSA. It's what you want and if you get the 'lesser' GS, you'll always say "I wish I'd...." With the GSA, you won't have buyers remorse and that alone is worth the extra $$. Enjoy.

....my .02

Last edited:
Back