• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Paint code ?

Dogface

My '73 R75 is Polaris Silver which is paint code 060 according to my research. In that same year BMW cars had silver of the same paint code. Would they be the same color?

My paint shop says not necessarily but that there is no data base for motorcycle colors to tell him how to mix. He could do a color match if I take a tank or fender off and bring it to him but what a pain.

My '73 R75 is Polaris Silver which is paint code 060 according to my research. In that same year BMW cars had silver of the same paint code. Would they be the same color?

My paint shop says not necessarily but that there is no data base for motorcycle colors to tell him how to mix. He could do a color match if I take a tank or fender off and bring it to him but what a pain.

Can you just ride the bike over to him?

Can you just ride the bike over to him?

Well, yeah, but I woulda thought a paint match required some kinda computer scan or something. This is a paint store that sells auto paints...not a body shop. Small town contraints are in play here as well.

paint match

The gas tank is a LOT easier to remove than either fender.

Friedle

Depends which code you're talking about.

The code on the decal under the seat describes both the main color and the pinstripe color, both of which have their individual codes.

I you're talking stictly the code for the silver, they're the same for cars and bikes.

They of course refer to Glasurit paint, the expert on which is Holt BMW, Athens, OH.

Depends which code you're talking about.

I you're talking stictly the code for the silver, they're the same for cars and bikes.

They of course refer to Glasurit paint, the expert on which is Holt BMW, Athens, OH.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Glasurit . And yes, a /5 Polaris Silver is the same for bikes and cars of that vintage.

The code on the decal under the seat describes both the main color and the pinstripe color, both of which have their individual codes.

From one of the best sources of BMW info on the interweb machine:
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes/silvers.htm

Polaris (Metallic)

060 / 559 / 563 / 576 / 559 / 612

1970 On Models,R45, R45N, R45T, R45TN, R65, R65T, R65LS, R50/5. R60/5, R75/5, R60/6, R75/6, R90/6, R65 Mono (all), R65RT Mono, R80 Mono, R80RT Mono, R100/7, R100/7T, R100T, R100RT, K100, K100LT, K100RS, K100RT

You can use those numbers on the Glasurit site in the draw down menu "Colors" on the "Search for a Formula" to find the color, paint type, and mix instructions you're after. AFAIK, it only works well with IE on a PC. The Glasurit site, that is.

IMO, the prettiest of all the /5 color schemes:

R75-5%20Borisav%203.jpg

Thanks Kent and David,
Yes, David, that is exactly the color scheme I have. My decal under the seat is missing, but I'm darn glad to hear that the silver is the same for cars and bikes. I'll deal with the pin stripes once the tank is painted.

Yes, you're right, that Glasurite site won't work on a Mac/Safari combination. If anyone knows the name of that blue in the pin stripe I'd like to know it too....and/or mix formula.

Last edited:
Yes, you're right, that Glasurite site won't work on a Mac/Safari combination. If anyone knows the name of that blue in the pin stripe I'd like to know it too....and/or mix formula.

LIke Chris said, the code is also for the color scheme. You can find it on the website, but the colors listed after "060" above are the codes for the other colors.

I would suspect that the "612" is the black for the frame, and the "5XX" numbers are the blue pinstripes, based on year. Typically the same color, just in different paint formulas. (Acrylic Enamel, 2 part laquer, base-coat/clear-coat, etc.)

Find someone with a PC and explore. I found all the information I needed for a much more complicated Motorsport color scheme between the Glasurit site and the other BMW site I listed.

And once again, if you get stuck, Holt BMW are considered THE experts.

David,
Thanks again. Now I understand this scheme/code stuff a bit better. With that last info I can find the blue the same way I found the silver....or call Holt as you suggested.

Back