• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heated Grip Switch Positions

K

kourt999

Howdy,

I have just installed BMW heated grips on my 85 R80. The switch has three positions. It's kinda warm outside so it's a little hard to tell what is the "off" position and what is "on." Can anyone shoot me a brief explanantion on what position is off? I'm assuming it's the middle position, and then if the switch is rocked fully up or fully down the grips are on.

Also, I had a leftover ground wire that seemed to not be needed for my grip install--is it used only in certain applications? The directions were a little vague.

kourt

Howdy,

I have just installed BMW heated grips on my 85 R80. The switch has three positions. It's kinda warm outside so it's a little hard to tell what is the "off" position and what is "on." Can anyone shoot me a brief explanantion on what position is off? I'm assuming it's the middle position, and then if the switch is rocked fully up or fully down the grips are on.

Also, I had a leftover ground wire that seemed to not be needed for my grip install--is it used only in certain applications? The directions were a little vague.

kourt

Should be up for hi, middle for off and down for lo.

heat switch

On an airhead GS I had, the switch was horizontal. I eventually memorized
L for Low and R for Roast.

Am now riding an airhead RT (mono) with a vertical switch that is up for low and down for high.

Guess if the switch is symetrical it can be installed either way around. A little experimentation on a cold day will reveal which is which.

thanks, guys... same for me- i pickd up a 94 r100rt in philly, and headed south thru shenandoah and blue ridge a couple weeks ago. Sun am left northwilkesboro at 8am with 44 degrees outside, so's i puts on my new gloves and heads south...whats ths switch for? pushed the top of the switch, and went on my merry way. Wow my hands got hot! found out the off as ya'll described, and have left it there ever since. lesson learned

mmm I've got an 88 R100GS and the factory switches (one on each bar) only have two positions; on & off, there is a center push button too but its momentary contact only- never used that one though. my grips seem to "cycle" too. they do get nice and warm but your finger tips stay cold.

Old info still valid...

I recently installed the equipment for heated grips on my 2003 650 Dakar. It's got the rocker switch with 3 positions with no markings. After a little experimentation last weekend I found, as mentioned here, middle is off. My prior assumption was that either left or right would be the off position. I like the other person's reference for Left for Low, Right for Roast. I'll keep that in mind.

It was nice to see this thread from 2007 with the information I was looking for. :)

IMG_0728-M.jpg

Back