• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1985 K100RS Alternator

beemer01

I've been adding accessories to my (almost) vintage K, twin 50 watt driving lights, heated grips and an electric vest for those cold rides.

Is the OE alternator adaquate, or should I move up to a 50 amp retrofit?:dunno

I believe that you should upgrade to the 50 amp alternator. I did my 91K100LT back in 92 after I found out that the 33 amp alternator couldn't keep up with two 45 watt electric vests and trailer lights. Your description of what you are adding is more than that.

I think you should be fine at highway speed. Poking around town would be a bit more dicey.

House loads (headlight, fuel pump, rear brake light) are about 120 watts.
Heated jacket and grips are 100 watts.
Driving lights are 100 watts.

The 33amp alternator puts out about 460 watts. Put a voltmeter across the terminals of your battery when everything is on, and see how many rpm it takes for the voltage regulator to kick in and limit the re-charging at the battery. Then you'll know what kind of engine rpm you need to maintain.

Thanks for the calculations

Jon - Somewhere I had learned the calculations you outlined, but for the life of me could not remember them.

:bikes

Back