• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Roadster - no helmet lock

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
R1200R - no helmet lock

After 13 years of Roadsters, why did BMW remove this from the R1200R? <sigh>

Fred

Last edited:
Wish there was. Just looked. The way I pack, that would never work, anyway.

Fred
One could use the hooks the front of the seat fastens to with D-rings.

I've never trusted helmet locks. Since my full-face flipup Schuberth will fit in the sidecase - that's where it goes if I'm not able to bring it with me. Usually I just carry it along - or if the area looks OK - leave it on the seat, and cover it (and my GPS and tankbag) with the Kwikover I have on the bike. 10 seconds and they're all under cover and out of sight. (www.kwikover.com - it really works. I use it every time I ride - which is every day for the past 40 or so days..)

I was in the service area of my local dealer talking to the mechanic about the keys, and learned the reason why the plastic key costs as much as the regular key ($60) is because there is a chip in it as well.

Anyway, I looked at the bike he was working on, and lo and behold it was a new K bike with an OEM helmet lock screwed onto the frame! Uses the same keys as the Roadster. The only problem is the bracket was for a square frame member, rather than round. I ordered the lock, will have it keyed to my system, and I will figure out the bracket with the BMW parts fiche, with TechMount, or with a local machine shop.

Fred
'07 R

14 Years? If it's any consolation, my 1995 R100R has no helmet-lock either. I just use a long-shackled padlock. Cheep, easy, and I have a choice of different points to lock to depending on load or circumstances.

I'm going to copy this. I already picked up a used oilhead lock cheap. Apparently the new-style tumbler fits into the old oilhead lock, so it can be keyed to the new-style ignition key. The bracket was custom-made and very simple. I just have to have one made for a round frame member, instead of square, and I will recess it below the tube instead of on the outside.

It all looked OEM until I did a little digging.

Fred

Last edited:
14 Years? If it's any consolation, my 1995 R100R has no helmet-lock either.

Ben, are you sure? My monoshock Airheads have two protruding tabs for securing helmets.....the flat tab at the front of the handle, and the pin closer to the rear of the subframe.

Attachments

• tabs.jpg
    tabs.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 74
Another vote for the Helmet Guardian. We've got them on both my 1200GS and my wife's Honda VFR. Good quality and easy installation. Holds two helmets easily off the license plate bracket. They even supply a couple of really nifty modified allen wrench bolts as a security feature for mounting the bracket..

Back