• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Case Weight Limits?

R

rsried

Sorry, I imagine you guys get tired of us "newbees" and all of our questions, but I have another.

The manual says the side cases can hold a max of 22 pounds and the trunk can hold 11 pounds. I have promised one side case and the trunk to my wife, but she is freaking out about the weight limit. She has always had a problem minimizing her needs for trips.

So, is the BMW limit realistic or overly cautious? If I loaded it over the 22 pounds will the cases break apart and fall off or will I just have a heavier load to contend with?

Thanks again, I have received a great deal of BMW insight from this forum and I really appreciate the help.

Ray

Sorry, I imagine you guys get tired of us "newbees" and all of our questions, but I have another.

The manual says the side cases can hold a max of 22 pounds and the trunk can hold 11 pounds. I have promised one side case and the trunk to my wife, but she is freaking out about the weight limit. She has always had a problem minimizing her needs for trips.

So, is the BMW limit realistic or overly cautious? If I loaded it over the 22 pounds will the cases break apart and fall off or will I just have a heavier load to contend with?

Thanks again, I have received a great deal of BMW insight from this forum and I really appreciate the help.

Ray

welcome to the forum!!

go weigh an 18 pack of Black Label and get back to me, make sure to include a small bag of ice :)

i would say bmw is being cautious, i couldn't see upwards of 30-35lbs causing any real problem. i used to worry about my airhead cases, i never got above 90 with them, the system cases seem to have a much stronger latching mechanism. i wouldn't worry too much about it, i've carried the rear end of my bike around before by the mounts.

My girlfriend wears a backpack with hydration system, adds invaluable luggage capacity to a 2-up trip.

As to the weight limits, the top case is more senstive than the side cases. The top case sub bracket has been known to break with heavier loads.

Ray

What's she trying to bring? 22 lbs is a lot of clothing.

What's she trying to bring? 22 lbs is a lot of clothing.

Exactly. You'd be suprised what it takes to make 22 pounds of gear. I have had my bags loaded up with tool kits, camping gear and electronic gear and never got them over 20 pounds. Biggest concern is usually volume not weight.

Exactly. You'd be suprised what it takes to make 22 pounds of gear. I have had my bags loaded up with tool kits, camping gear and electronic gear and never got them over 20 pounds. Biggest concern is usually volume not weight.

Ditto. I have stuffed mine to near bulging and not exceeded the 22lbs. Of course, I don't know what she is bringing. Spiked-heels, whips and chains weigh a lot, but that's none of my business. :brow

Lou.

Last edited:
I've easily pushed past the weight limit, but only when traveling for work AND camping. Food + laptop + etc = heavy.

Weight and Stability

Weight capacity recommendations from any manufacturer are to say the least, conservative (translation: liability, should there be a crash), and BMW is no exception.

In the real world, unless of course you are packing gold bullion or bar bells, stuff whatever fits into your luggage (side cases and trunks) - just make sure the load is balanced. Otherwise, you will have instability issues that could jeopardize your safety.

For the trunk, make sure whatever you toss in there has little or no potential for shifting around as you corner - again, the name of the game is stability.

The cases and trunks on BMW's are remarkably well-constructed, so unless you are stressing components, such as hinges or latches, you and your wife should do well.

Just try not to start stacking a load (strapping large bundles on the top of a trunk, for example), as this will alter your center of gravity and your risk of tipping over, either in cornering, low-speed maneuvers or parking.

Good luck packing, and see you at the Rally!

Ride Alert!

Tired of "newbees".. Never. Don't forget we were all newbees at one time. Welcome to the madness. Unless you are hauling lead don't be so conserned about max weight, but do try and balance out each side. Later

and on another note, how water tight are the side cases on a r1200rt.

Traveled thru some pretty nasty rain for hours making our way into Gatlinburg, TN last May, heavily packed for a week in the Smokies.

No problems, as long as you have not stuffed the cases so full as to have stressed the hinges.

As others have said, I don't find weight to be much of an issue, as long as the load is balanced - equal pounds carried on each side.

These cases ride low enough on the bike's center of gravity that handling never seemed to be adversely affected.

Again, it will be when you stop packing and start stacking (i.e. too much in a trunk or too much on it) that stability issues will arise.

I want to say the weight limit for a checked bag on an airline is 30 pounds and that's pretty darn heavy for a suitcase. I've been traveling for years though for the last ten I only travel with carry on. Got a feeling the 30 pound limit went by the way of the table cloths, knives and forks made of silver, and the flight attendant personally putting a pillow under my head.

I think the more advanced you get in bike traveling, the less you pack for a long trip. How many jeans, shorts, T-shirts, and socks do you need living on a motorcycle ? Answer?
The more laundry detergent and quarters you pack, the less you'll need.

Get well made bag liners. Women or at least my wife always over stuffs a suit case. That way it is not ur fault and you just don't know why she can't get it all in. Married 31 years and I'm well trained.

Dave Faria
Austin, Tx

Which "Cases"..Aluminum Adv Boxes?

A lot of previous posts/thread on this topic, search might help you..but first which boxes are we talking about? Numerous types out there...

#1 My BMW Aluminum "Adv" side boxes have always leaked a small amount of water in when I ride in rain...try the baking soda/vinegar in a bowl inside your box, seal it and spray lid seal, rivets and silicon seal at bottom with a soap solution...you will be amazed at bubbling you will see..

#2 In even a mild dump and impact on the boxes the plastic lips on the lid/box can snap off and totally eliminate any hope of a seal...plastic lips can't be replaced...must buy lid and/or box..neat huh? My left box is now impossible to seal out dust or water...plastic seal demolished in a drop on dirt...

#3 I weighed boxes and close as I can come is 14 lbs each...I then max out at an additional 18 lbs of load each...I completely agree that weight is not your friend..even when balanced right to left...especially up high, the higher the mass, the worst the handling...plus our boxes and BMW frame are hung on sub-frame...very, very expensive..do not want to crack or tweak..

Will try to include a picture of a busted plastic lip on my box...I pretty much always have my boxes on my '07 GSA since I want to ride mostly off-road I need all the stuff in the boxes to get me home...and need to learn to proficiently ride with them in place...

Attachments

• Plastic on Lid.jpg
    Plastic on Lid.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 341
News Flash: We all overload our cases. My tool bag at 16 pounds takes up 20% of the space and 100% of the weight. Nothing has broken yet, but when it does it is my own fault.

Last edited:
My concern would not be so much the weight, but the volume of "overstuffing". The internal latching mechanisms are a bit fragile IMHO. If you have to force the lid closed...beware.

DAMHIK! :violin

About 10 years ago we got Bag liners from Kathys.... http://kathysjourneydesigns.com
My wife can pack over a weeks worth of stuff for us in each side, one side for her, one for me. They usually end up weighing around 12 lbs. each.

That pretty much sums up what my bride and I have done. We place our belongings in the bag liners,if it doesn't fit it doesn't ride with us. Using the liners is great when using Hotels and when camping in your tent, everything you need is there

Back