• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires?

R

rsried

Thanks to everyone who replied to my Oilhead Oil question.

I'm getting ready for a 4,500 mile trip and my front Metzler radial has about 1.7mm of tread depth. The manual says it's trash at 2mm. I'm not cheap, but I don't like to waste either. Is it possible the Metzler would still have tread after another 4,500 miles?

I will likely replace the tire anyway and most RT riders I've met use Metzlers, but I'm open to suggestions. What is a good tire (grip and decent mileage) for the RT?

Thanks Again,

Ray

Personally, I like the Metzler tires. They give me good mileage, traction, and performance. I have heard others say to look at the Avon and Michelin but have no experience with them on my bike. On my cars, the Michelins are the only thing I will use.

I was talking with a guy at Honda Hoot just three days ago and he said he gets 25K on Metzlers. I can not believe it, but he swears he does. As for your front end, if it is below spec replace it. Is your life and safety not worth the money?

You didn't tell us how many miles you already have on the tire.

A good all around choice in tires is the Michelin Pilot Road.

I can't speak for all tires but after the wear bars showed on my front tire in Nebraska, I got another 1,000 miles on it going home and still had usable rubber left.

I was quite nervous though and the vibrations started to move down from high speeds to hiway speeds.

Back