• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Frustrated and need help with 99 RT 1100

SGTBORING

I started a post on replacing the Throttle Cable and the Bowden Box removal and got some good advice. I also got some information from the Internet BMW Riders web site.

However,

I really need some pictures with description to get the Tank off and disconnect everything that needs it, then how to put it back together. I have to have my Bike ready for a upcoming Honeymoon/2k ride. If anyone has some good pictures and procedures I would be grateful.

mboring@lcctc.org

Last edited:
Sarge,

Have you taken the tupperware off the bike before? If so you've gotten it down to the fuel tank. (I'm on vacation right now in the redwoods but will try to shoot a pict or 2 when I get back.) Oh the right side of the fuel tank next to the battery is a lone bolt that you can remove. Next lift the tank slightly from the back and you can see the fuel lines with quick disconnects that should be disconnected. There is a hose holder on the bottom of the fuel tank that can be flipped open to let the hoses hang and you can have more room to play with them. The other hoses are the vents to the tank, unhook those and the last to unhook is the electrical connector for the fuel pump and gage. All of this is on the right side of the tank almost directly below the battery.

Make sure the tank is mostly empty as it weighs a lot even without fuel in it. Lift the tank from the back and grab a hand on the front then slide towards the back of the bike. Take it and set it somewhere to start playing with your cables. Really pretty simple once you've done it.

Best of luck,

I'm not sure about the RT but on my RS there are two additional screws in addition to the one bdiver mentioned. They are located in the cutout area where the fork tubes run. They attach the "dashboard" tupperware to the tank. They are small round head allen screws.

John

Facing A deadline I "bit the bullet"

Thanks for the advice. facing a deadline (Getting Married this Friday!) I the bike up to Hermeys BMW Port Clinton PA. They were the only ones who agreed to try to fit me into there busy schedual.

I am lubricating my tail pipe in preperation for the repare bill:deal :uhoh :jawdrop

Shoot me your email address and I'll send over a PDF of the maintenance page for the next time. It's about 242K so I can't put it up here. IT shows the bolt and the hoses I talked about . The tank is for a different bike but the procedure covers a few different bikes with corresponding (RS) (RT), etc for the proper bike.

Thanks for the advice. facing a deadline (Getting Married this Friday!) I the bike up to Hermeys BMW Port Clinton PA. They were the only ones who agreed to try to fit me into there busy schedual.

I am lubricating my tail pipe in preperation for the repare bill:deal :uhoh :jawdrop

That's a shame. I have a rough cut video on how to do it that I will be using on my Companion DVD I would have sent you.

Hope it isn't too painful!

Jim :brow

Originally Posted by sgtboring

I am lubricating my tail pipe in preperation for the repare bill

579$............

Back