• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Condition report - Your opinion needed!

Thanks, folks. The reason why I asked this question is because I recently acquired a sight-unseen 85 K100RS from the original owner, with 11,000 miles. Normally, one would have a certain perception of a one-owner, garage kept bike with 11,000 miles. The bike that was shipped didn't match my perception. While I certainly did not expect perfection, the issues like the footpeg and shift lever wear, and the wear around the seat lip caused me to doubt the voracity of the seller's claim. As there was no other documentation to back up the owner's claim of the mileage, I wanted to put the question out to the experts...you folk.

The bike is currently spending some quality time with Cross Country BMW in Metuchen, NJ. She will get a slow, loving restoration over the winter (if it ever comes...) and will be resprayed Alaska blue (I never liked the Madison sliver-green). I have since acquired a mint condition 1988 K100RS SE ABS that will serve as my daily big bike, so the 85 will probably be sold at some point.

Thanks agani, one and all!

I wouldn't be surprised if the bike actually had only 11,000 miles on it. But no way was it stored in a heated garage with that amount of damage from exposure to the elements.

I'm currently in the process of sorting out a '92 K75S. I bought it from a friend for a song, but lots of the bike looked like the pictures you've posted - dirt, grime, grit and rotting rubber and leather from exposure to ultraviolet radiation.

Keeping this in mind, my wrench told me the fact that my 14 year old bike "only" had 31,000 miles on it wasn't troubling - but if it only had 3,000 miles on it, he'd be concerned. They need to be ridden, and they need to be ridden frequently (i.e. year round). Bikes don't like sitting around gathering dust (and road grime). They like having their parts bathed in a shower of clean and warm engine oil. Tires like getting warmed up and scuffed on the pavement. Brake pads like rubbing against rotors.

I'd find the photos much more useful for determining wear and approximate mileage after the bike had a serious wash, brushing and chipping off the accumulated years of gunk that has grown on the bike. Heck - the thing may not leak a drop of oil, but you'd never know that because the block is covered in grime. Clean it up, park it on the center stand, and put a fresh piece of cardboard under the bike. After a couple of days, you'll know for sure if it's got an oil leak.

But most importantly, ride the thing and exercise the parts. There's only one fool-proof way to discover all the defects and blemishes - on the road!

Back