• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Cruise Control Switch

OILHEAD05RT

Roy Fant
Anybody having this problem. The cruise control switch on my 05 RT was defective. Sometimes it would work and sometimes not. Took it in and the dealer said it was a defective switch. Ordered a new one and had it installed last Saturday. Worked fine on the way home, then when out for a ride Sunday and it started working intermittently as before. Haven't called the dealer back yet but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Maybe this is something besides the switch. Kinda odd that 2 switches in a row were defective.

I have an 05 1200RT too and not had any problems at all. I think I would be looking at the cruise control unit, not the switch. Good luck. : :banghead

My switch is being replaced as we speak. I will let you know if it breaks again.

I have a little over 3000 miles on my '06. No problems with the cruise control. I have to say it works like a charm. I agree with gomato, looks like the cruise control unit, unless maybe they're making the replacement switches in China like some of the replacement ball bearings. :ha

Let's see now, I have to watch the cruise control, the rear end and the road. Help me here fatherland, I'm running out of eyeballs! :D

Easy
Big Empty, Texas :german
Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.
Cary Grant (1904 - 1986)

No problems on my '06 (20,000 kms/12,000 miles), but I know of someone with an '05 (bought Nov '05) who had to replace his cruise switch very early on.

Cruise control

I am about to get my third replacement cruise control.. The first two were under warranty. I consider this aspect a lemon

For future posts, remember that your bike is a HEXhead, not an OILhead. Posting in correct sub-forum will assist the answering process.

Mod- clean up on aisle #7.

Yep, I've had two handlebar switches installed to no effect. The bump-down wouldn't work properly - it would shut the cruise off. The jury is still out on this one at BMW...2010 RT

Are you talking to me? I answered here because all these guys have R1200s. What is the difference what engine it is? We are talking about the Cruise Control.

I've got a 09 used and the cruise switch light comes on but thats it, the control unit is rather expensive, I was going to shoot some wd 40 in it or use that spray electronics contact cleaner, CRC 5103 on it. My 09 was not taken care of very well at all, very disappointing.

It's not clear which switch was replaced by the dealer. Beside the main cruise on/off/set/resume switch, there is a switch activated by the clutch lever. One switch at the lever connects to the engine control unit to allow starting in gear, and another connects to the cruise control unit to disengage the cruise control.

If the cruise clutch switch is dirty or stuck, or if the lever is not contacting it properly, the cruise will not engage.

Another switch disables cruise if you shut the throttle.

When I was new to my RT, there were times that my foot pressed lightly on the brake pedal. Not enough to cause brake drag, but enough to activate the brake light and insure that the cruise would not engage.

It's not clear which switch was replaced by the dealer. Beside the main cruise on/off/set/resume switch, there is a switch activated by the clutch lever. One switch at the lever connects to the engine control unit to allow starting in gear, and another connects to the cruise control unit to disengage the cruise control.

Never, ever, wonder what your dealer did. If they can't explain it - run as far away from that dealer as you can. Otherwise is nonsense.

Agree.... On the other hand, you could look up the part number of the replaced item (from the invoice) on either the MAX or A&S parts fiche to determine what was done. But they should have told you when you picked up the bike.

Back