Thread: System Case Repair

czucker

Integral Case Repair

While this isn't K specific, I have a K75 so I reckon this must be the right place to post. . .

So a while back I found a page on the net that had tips on re-finishing black ABS integral case lids using Wurth Stoneguard, or some similar textured black spray.

Sadly I never bookmarked that page and can't find it anymore. Has anyone tried anything like this? If so, how did it come out?

Best,
    Chris
    Last edited by czucker; 07-26-2006 at 08:19 PM.

case repair

Hey Chris; I don't know what you would like to cover up but my cases, the old style on an 85, got cloudy gray from using vinyl protercterant on them and nothing conventional would take the cloudy away. Then I remembered the good old days (the 50's before armorall)when we cleaned tires with brake fluid. Sooo I dampened a clean rag with clean DOT 4 (because DOT 3 is not BMW approved) and started on the back out of sight. It will soften the surface so be gentle. I did this about 4 seasons ago and the bags are still black and clean up with soap and water. No protecterant. HaroldS

czucker
    I was actually looking for something to get that pebble texture back. I managed to find something pretty interesting that involves a coars Scotch Brite pad and a rubber mallet. . . See here for more.

Thanks for the brake fluid tip. That'll be step 2

Just a polite FYI.. The cases are called 'Integral Cases' on an older K bike.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool

andy45320
    Quote Originally Posted by hhshort
    Hey Chris; I don't know what you would like to cover up but my cases, the old style on an 85, got cloudy gray from using vinyl protercterant on them and nothing conventional would take the cloudy away. Then I remembered the good old days (the 50's before armorall)when we cleaned tires with brake fluid. Sooo I dampened a clean rag with clean DOT 4 (because DOT 3 is not BMW approved) and started on the back out of sight. It will soften the surface so be gentle. I did this about 4 seasons ago and the bags are still black and clean up with soap and water. No protecterant. HaroldS
    For some reason remember hearing someone say black shoe polish once for harden black plastic and rubber. Never tried it, YMMV.

steviewonder
    A parts washer will remove what I'm seeing on those carbs without any need for blasting of any kind. But they sure do look good in the "after" picture, so it must work ... if you have the gear to do it.