• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gel Battery Installation Help

BRADFORDBENN

Slowpoke & Proud of It!
Hello All-

Well my battery is acting wonky, so I purchased a new Odyssey gel cell. So tonight I started to install it and I found a problem. It does not seem to have any lugs. I checked the box, and it comes with bolts but they bolt in flush to the top. No biggie I thought.

Here is the challenge, the ground wire (-) on the RT has the stud/bolt as part of the crimp on. So there is no way to bolt it down. Do I just cut off the bolt stud and drill a hole in the crimp; then bolt it down to the new battery.

Seems to be a little drastic to me. I went to the local auto parts store and they did not seem to have an adapter.

Here is a picture of the basic problem:
BothBatteries.jpg

Is there something I am missing :dunno

Or you can go to your junk barrel or hardware store for a 1/2" x 4" galv angle bracket, enlarge one hole, drill another, and cut it with a hacksaw to an appropriate length. Then put it in a vise, and hit it a few times with a hammer to bend it a bit less than a right angle. Bolt it right up.

Been on there since 1999, now on Odyssey #2.

Last edited:
I just did the mod. I took a short piece of copper pipe, flattened it in a vise, bent it, and drilled the holes. Ten minutes.

I just installed an Odyssey AGM in my R1100R, they sent me the adaptor and bolts that you bolt into the top of the battery so you can attach your positive and negative cables. I'm surprised they didn't send you the same package. Came in a little plastic sandwhich bag type container, sure you didn't miss it in your shipping box? If not call them they should send it to you.

It depends who you buy the battery from, the Ebay folks are around $40.00 cheaper then dealers and don't send the adapters. Only a few places send adapters along without asking for them and some don't even have them.

You really don't need adaptors for the battery. Mount it sideways facing to the left with the + on top. Use the bolts you have or received and capture the correct wire in the correct lug. The battery doesn't care if it's mounted sideways and it works fine that way. It does make it easier to jump start another vehicle this way.

I had the same problem with the battery when I installed my last Christmas. I took out my trusty pliers and modified the existing battery terminal until it fit on the new battery. It's still working.

I did a little modification at the office on some copper buss we had for the amplifiers. Figure if it can handle 200V 4000W it should handle the motorcycle no problem, and then decided to order the ones from A&S.

I called 'Stich and they did not know about the adaptors. They were not in the box. I am real careful about that.

And it is the battery called out as the BMW Battery in their catalog. There is no local dealer that has the battery, or a similiar one that would fit.

I have a Yuasa in the VFR but wanted to go gel for the RT since it is such a pain to do battery checks on it.

Back