• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

help with route through Pa and NY

jwesolowski said:
My beautiful wife and I :hug will be riding up to the rally from Washington DC on Wednesday and Thursday. We were planning on spending Friday night somewhere near Hyde Park, NY, then riding up NY 9, 9G, etc. eventually making our way over to VT 100 and up to the rally.

Going up the Hudson forces us to head easterly, near the Baltimore/Philadelphia/NYC corridor. Is this just a bad idea?

Any suggestions for non-slab routes from DC to the Hudson River Valley?

My Dad and sister are leaving Fairfax on Tuesday and their proposed route is going to be 15 to Gettysburg, then 30 towards York, then picking their way through the secondary roads towards Stroudsburg. They are planning on taking the whole day to get to Stroudsburg. The next morning we are meeting around West Point and going on from there. My sister is a new rider and we are avoiding the slab most of the way so we can work on her skills.

Belquar said:
...15 to Gettysburg, then 30 towards York...
Be aware that US 30 between Fort Loudon and Philadelphia can be a real drag if you are just trying to cross the state. The three lane parts (essentialy two-lane with left turn lane with rare passing) aren't much fun for a motorcyclist because of the traffic, particularly the 20 miles from Fort Loudon to Fayetteville and the 40 miles from Cashtown to York. The 30 mile four-lane divided section from York to east of Lancaster is basically the same as a busy interstate, which meets US 222 - which is also a four lane divided road up to Reading (very recently re-opened).

On the other hand, there are some classic roadside oddities along US 30 if you have the time - the Shoe House east of York, for example.

US 30 west of Fort Loudon is fun.

Fred

route through PA.

Leaving richmond monday am as well. from harrisburg 22/322 to 225 to martinsburg to 209 to port jervis. I84 tothru newburgh to taconic state pky. exit at rt 23 east to rt 7 N. rt 7 into burlingington. contact email hot2na@gmail.com

Route 23A from Tannersville, New York down the mountain to Palenville, New York is closed for major repairs - look for alternate routes.

Unregistered said:
Route 23A from Tannersville, New York down the mountain to Palenville, New York is closed for major repairs - look for alternate routes.
Thanks I am going to turn east and avoid that area.

Back