• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Handle Bar Vibration

12BSWAYED

Greeting everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I realize this may have been well covered ground, but I have a question about my 1995 K1100RS.

I've had my bike just over a year, and I've noticed a vibration in the handle bars at or about 60 mph. It goes away at 65-70 mph. My mechanic told me there is no fix for this problem that he is aware of and that it is a problem that has plagued these bikes. I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this problem and what if anything you've done to correct or reduce it. It's quiet anoying, and at times had put my throttle hand to sleep.

To my knowledge, the previous owner has not shimmed the handle bars or done anything else to the bars. They are the original RS bars, not the C bar. Millage on the bike is 24K. It's never been crashed and the tires were replaced last year so I know the wheels are good.

Thanks,
Laurie

Go faster?

If that's not an option..

If you don't have heated grips - bar end weights can sometimes be used to tune away vibration. You want ones that have a semi-flexible mount like the BMW ones so the weight is a bit isolated from the bar (usually by some rubber damping).

If you don't have heated grips and already have bar-end weights - people have reported some success with "bar-snakes" - lead-shot filled things you snake into your bars. The lead-shot absorbs the vibes..

If you do have heated grips - then your options are a bit more limited..

If you look at: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0532&mospid=47928&btnr=32_0791&hg=32&fg=05 - look at PN4.. this is a rubber mount the bar mounts use to attach to the top triple-clamp.

This can get old and hard - allowing more vibration through to be bars, or it can be too loose. First step is replacing them (there are 2) - if that doesn't do it - you can tune it a bit by adding washers underneath it to compress it a bit more. These washers would go above PN-5, and should have a center hole large enough to go over the mount shaft (you'll see what I mean when you take it apart..)

HTH - some vibrations are always going to be there.. and if they are really bothersome to you - gel-palm gloves help as will new or different types of handgrips (a bit of a PITA with heated grips..)

vibration

I realize this is a different bike, but this is my experience for what it is worth.
I own a 2003 K 1200 LTE. Two years ago prior to a trip to the Maritimes I experinenced a severe vibration with my hands off the grips at 40mph.

2000+ miles later I was looking ofr a new front tire in Newfounland. Good luck huh.. I was riding a bridgestone Battleax and experienced a belt shift.

Check you tires is all I can say. Sometimes the weight of the bike does not meet the rating of the tire.

Safe riding.

KennyD

Thanks everyone...going faster is what I have been doing, whenever possible.

I will re-check the front tire and wheel.

The web site you gave me Don looks promissing. My mechanic gave me a different bar end, an original one. A bob's wrist rest is on there now. When I take it off, I'll be able to see if thoes vibration dampeners are on there or not. When I went to the dealer yesterday, one of the guys suggested the lead snake, and BB's poured into the handle bars. I'm reluctant to do that tho..the BB's that is..

Burnzilla...guess I'll finding that sweet spot...maybe running in 4th gear to get the RPM's up. Do your K75's experience the same problem?

Thanks again!
Laurie

Hey Burnzilla

Burnszilla said:
Run the RPMs a bit higher. That engine's smooth sweet spot is from 6500 to 7000 rpm. Don't lug it.

My K1100 runs 70 mph at 4,000 rpm, What is your K75 turning at 70 mph, 5500 rpm?

Back