• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT versus GT

RTdavey

I have an opprtunity to "trade" my '04 RT for an "04 or trade in for an 06 K GT. What are the +'s
and -'s of this???
I'm somewhat happy with the RT, but when I read about things like the tranny problem, or other issues, I woder if the brick would be a smarter choice??

Last edited:
RTdavey said:
I have an opprtunity to "trade" my '04 RT for an "04 K GT. What are the +'s
and -'s of this???
I'm happy with the RT, but when I read about things like the tranny problem, or other issues, I woder if the brick would be a smarter choice??

Don't be trading in a bike you're happy with! :brow

go for new GT

the RT is a fine machine ... don't know if you'll see significant delats worth trading in a bike for another used machine ... check out the new GT or RT ... pretty significant changes there

Chrisrides said:
the RT is a fine machine ... don't know if you'll see significant delats worth trading in a bike for another used machine ... check out the new GT or RT ... pretty significant changes there

What are the specifics ???

RTdavey said:
I have an opprtunity to "trade" my '04 RT for an "04 K GT. What are the +'s
and -'s of this???
I'm happy with the RT, but when I read about things like the tranny problem, or other issues, I woder if the brick would be a smarter choice??

Have you ridden the GT?

No, I haven't ridden the GT.
If anybody has, Please give me some advice.
I just know there are some things I am starting to get spooked on the RT.
I'm looking for any type of objective input here.

OK.
How about the reliability/dependability factor for both bikes???
Inherent problems for each ???
Maintanance issues/servicability pros and cons ???
Thanks

Rt/gt

Made that switch from 02 R-1150RT to 03 K1200GT--HOWEVER, my RT was not dual plugged as yours, hence a slight surging problem, and also a fall flat problem at altitude on hot re-starts. Also mine was an early fully linked brake model (someone at BMW should have a smack) . I really liked the ergo's of the RT better, but the "brick" engine was really smooth. Also consider that the old style K engines are history, and the GT is a "bitsa" bike from the parts bin. Anyway--made the change to get away from several problems on the R, but other than that, would have kept riding it . BMW, it seems, has always used it's customer base as a test bed, so if you have no problems with your '04 RT--just ride the wheels off. BTW, now have an 05 R-1200 GS and it is the absolute best , smoothest oilhead I have ever owned. They finally got it right.

RTdavey said:
No, I haven't ridden the GT.
If anybody has, Please give me some advice.
I just know there are some things I am starting to get spooked on the RT.
I'm looking for any type of objective input here.

OK.
How about the reliability/dependability factor for both bikes???
Inherent problems for each ???
Maintanance issues/servicability pros and cons ???
Thanks

Why worry about the RT? You *might* someday have a problem, but that's true of every machine. Is it showing signs of a problem?

IMHO, it all comes down to what you want. I love my RT with 65000 miles on the clock and no problems. I take loooooonnnnnggg rides at least two times a year and enjoy them with no worries. After all, if something does break, I can always fix it or pay to fix it or just hop on the bus! Main thing is it fits you and your life. I think I might like an LT since I love the long rides, but then, I can't fit one in my garage with my car and SUV. Annnndddd where I live, they have this stupid rule that if you have two cars and a two car garage, they must both fit in the garage. Coupled with that is the Nazi rule that motorcycles bring down house values and so must be out of view in the garage. Of course it goes without saying that they can't displace a car! Got all that? Actually, we bought the house because we knew resale would be best in our town once we retire and get the heck out of California in a few years. :bolt

knary said:
Why worry about the RT? You *might* someday have a problem, but that's true of every machine. Is it showing signs of a problem?

Hey, thanks for the replies.
I don't have any immediate problems right now to speak of other than the "clunking" in the shifting, and the lack of "smoothness" on acceleration that kinda bothers me.
The bike seems to be touchy about valve adj. and throttle sync in that either the dealer does a half ass job at both, or it doesn't seem to me to be as smooth as it should be.

RTdavey said:
Hey, thanks for the replies.
I don't have any immediate problems right now to speak of other than the "clunking" in the shifting, and the lack of "smoothness" on acceleration that kinda bothers me.
The bike seems to be touchy about valve adj. and throttle sync in that either the dealer does a half ass job at both, or it doesn't seem to me to be as smooth as it should be.

Doing your own valve adjustment and throttle sync is really easy. Don't be put off from doing it. There are excellent tech articles about how to do it. I had never done either before and once I got up the gumption, found it was amazingly easy and now seems like a 30 minute job. Can't believe what I used to pay. The advantages, other than saving a ton of money, are that you will make sure the adjustments are correct and your bike will love you for the attention. You'll feel so much closer to one another. :love

glwestcott said:
Doing your own valve adjustment and throttle sync is really easy. Don't be put off from doing it. There are excellent tech articles about how to do it. I had never done either before and once I got up the gumption, found it was amazingly easy and now seems like a 30 minute job. Can't believe what I used to pay. The advantages, other than saving a ton of money, are that you will make sure the adjustments are correct and your bike will love you for the attention. You'll feel so much closer to one another. :love

GL-
Hey thanks.
I think I am most intimitated by the tupperware removal.
I had an '82 R 100 RT that I did the valves/carbs on.
But all that plastic coming off and going back on, doesn't sit well with me.
You think it is pretty easy to do?

Hey RTDavey,
Taking the plastic off isn't very difficult, I did it to change the battery. Just make sure you get every screw out (there's a bunch) and it helps to have someone unscrewing the other side at the same time.

I have gotten the 3mm allen bit for my cordless screw gun. I can not get the plastic off in under five minutes. It is not that hard to do.

I was intimidated about taking the plastic off a first and tended to grumble about what a pain it was to do anything on the bike work wise since you had so much to remove. I have a brother who is the original whizkid mechanic type and he was over as I was taking the fairings off. He pointed out that though there were a lot of screws, there were only two major pieces to remove. He rides a wing and talked about how many more pieces that had to it and how much more simple the RT system is. Got me thinking in a whole new way. Now I look at it and think, "Wow - this really is an easy and simple system to take down to where you can get something done."

Main thing you have to do when you take off each side is to look at the bottom and front upper areas where there are tabs and make sure that you slip those out when removing rather than force them. I think after an on and off or two and an attitude adjustment about there being really only two major parts, you'll be looking for excuses to get those covers off.

Do you guys know of any links that show what order to take off the plastic for "regular" maintanance service, i.e. valves and throttle body balance ???
Thanks again.
-Dave

Back to your original question on the advantages/disadvantages. Both bikes have plastic. With the K you get the advantage of more acceleration over 120 mph, smaller gas tank and less luggage capacity. All this with more weight :D

Jay Green
R1100GS

ÔÇ£Once you can accept the Universe as matter expanding into 'nothing that is something', wearing stripes with plaid comes easyÔÇØ - Albert Einstein

r1dinman said:
Back to your original question on the advantages/disadvantages. Both bikes have plastic. With the K you get the advantage of more acceleration over 120 mph, smaller gas tank and less luggage capacity. All this with more weight :D

Jay Green
R1100GS

R1-
Thanks for the reminder, I just got this funny feeling in my gut that the 1150 RT was at the top of its "engineering cycle" when I bought mine, and things may not be right. Sorry for getting off tract. Thanks for your input.

davey - what about your username? you'd have to become GTDavey.

Back