• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R-1100 cam chain rattle

twins4life

Ok, I am ready to tackle this problem before my ankle surgery.

I remember there is an updated tensioner, no spring but relies on oil pressure to tension the chain. [1997 R-1100R]

Good so far?

Two ways to get the parts,

1. order the needed goodies and install yourself.
2. order a complete tension for a lot less $$. But I can find the p/n.

Any help?

(I'll be gone all weekend and check back Sunday night)

Thanks!!

Adventure Rider info...

Here is a thread on the a Adventure Rider forum the gives part numbers and pic's of the new chain tensioner, but the info is for a R1150R (might be worth checking out).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117748&highlight=chain+tensioner

I was looking at doing this on my 97 - R850R last year. After doing a little research, I felt like the noise I was hearing was carbon buildup on the piston and head. So, I pulled the head and cleaned the carbon off and the noise went away.

those sure are different noises....

mjdill said:
Here is a thread on the a Adventure Rider forum the gives part numbers and pic's of the new chain tensioner, but the info is for a R1150R (might be worth checking out).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117748&highlight=chain+tensioner

I was looking at doing this on my 97 - R850R last year. After doing a little research, I felt like the noise I was hearing was carbon buildup on the piston and head. So, I pulled the head and cleaned the carbon off and the noise went away.

Glad you guessed right....

twins4life said:
2. order a complete tension for a lot less $$. But I can find the p/n.

from what i can tell that "complete unit" is N/A at many dealerships.

for example Max BMW parts fiche

i was just assuming you had an "R" but they're N/A for all other models as well.

it's weird, cause all the chain slap i hear on mine comes from the right side at startup.........

Last edited:
I just mail ordered the kit from Hammersley. $58, I think. They are up to speed on what you need.
I connected with them through ADVRider, parts man frequents the site and was very helpful. Give him a call. 800-293-4539

Motard
1150GS
R50

Well I evaluated this again. Still think the noise is from the left side cam chain.

I think this because I can rev to 5krpm and let go of the throttle and the noise is still present at RPM > 3k, can even hit the kill switch and the rattle is still present.

Sound like I am chasing the correct rabbit?

Back