• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Reflections On BMW Pricing - A Relative Bargain

I thought that Campfire seemed like the appropriate place for this. I'm sure that a moderator will move (or delete) it, if not. No politics; merely my thoughts on pricing and inflation over the past fifty years.

I purchased my new 2023 R1250RS yesterday. I paid just under $21k for it. The non-biking crowd would likely consider that an astounding amount to pay for a motorcycle. However, in the context of value, it's really a relative bargain, in my opinion. Allow me to elaborate:

When BMW released the R90S in 1974, it sold for just under $4000. I believe that MSRP was ~$3600 and went to four grand the following year. My best friend's dad bought a '74 Ford Mustang II (a dreadful car) in the summer of '74. I'm pretty sure that he paid right around $4000 for it. Fast-forward nearly a half-century to 6/3/23 and my R1250RS purchase...I am pretty certain that even a bare-bones, stripped-down 2023 Mustang is going to cost well over $21k. A reasonably well-equipped one will go for FAR more than that.

So compare my new R1250RS to the mac-daddy (in its day) R90S...in terms of value, the new bike is actually not that pricey at all. Heck, look at a candy bar. They sold for 15 cents in '74; well over a dollar today. It's all relative, isn't it? But my point is that a BMW motorcycle is really a better value today than it was fifty years ago.

Welcome to the forum! I checked an internet inflation calculator and $4000 in 1974 is the equivalent of almost $26000 today.

Welcome to the forum! I checked an internet inflation calculator and $4000 in 1974 is the equivalent of almost $26000 today.

Thank you for the welcome, Kurt! It's quite amazing isn't it? I remember the mid-70s when a Big Mac, small fry, and small Coke sold for $1.25 including sales tax ,(4% here in Florida at the time).

Thank you for the welcome, Kurt! It's quite amazing isn't it? I remember the mid-70s when a Big Mac, small fry, and small Coke sold for $1.25 including sales tax ,(4% here in Florida at the time).

1962: Henry's Drive-In: Hamburger 15 cents, Fries 12 cents, Coke 10 cents. Tax 3 cents = $0.40 for lunch! Hourly wage: $1.25/ hour. Lunch cost 20 minutes of earnings. About a half hour with two burgers.

1962: Henry's Drive-In: Hamburger 15 cents, Fries 12 cents, Coke 10 cents. Tax 3 cents = $0.40 for lunch! Hourly wage: $1.25/ hour. Lunch cost 20 minutes of earnings. About a half hour with two burgers.

About a dozen bottles found in the bar ditches on bicycles, to the local 7-11 for deposit change and a pedal to the Burger Chef for a .19 fish sandwich and a .20 soda!
I was working at Sizzler when you could get a steak and potato for 1.79.

Compared to a loaded out H-D… BMW still a bargain! BTDT

It's even more fun to translate historic prices with a currency-conversion step included. I own a 1970 Lotus and I have the sales receipt from when the first owner bought it over in England, where he paid 1800-odd pounds for it (I forget the exact figure and don't feel like digging out the receipt to look). I translated that to USD using the exchange rate for that month and year, then converted those 1970 dollars to 2022 dollars (the year I did this) and arrived at a price equivalent to $28000-something today. A real steal, since you can't get a new Lotus now for under $80K.

Note that at the same time, you could get a Honda CB750 for about $1495, which is only about $9K now.

I mean, just for comparison. A $26K motorcycle is, IMHO, an expensive bike. I paid less than that for a used Porsche with 23K miles on it.

Note that at the same time, you could get a Honda CB750 for about $1495, which is only about $9K now.

I mean, just for comparison. A $26K motorcycle is, IMHO, an expensive bike. I paid less than that for a used Porsche with 23K miles on it.

Yeah, my '76 CB550F was $1750. I bought it as a two year leftover (the orange ones and the yellow ones were the leftovers. I chose the orange) off the dealer floor as the '78 models were just coming out for $1500. That would barely be $7000 today. What a deal that would be!

Two cheeseburgers, fries, apple pie and a coke cost $0.99 in 1972.

Change back from my dollar! :ha

Back