• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1978 r100rs - won't start after hibernation

jsey

Put the bike away for the winter in nov and just pulled it out no juice to the starter. Battery fully charged and everything but the starter works. Pulled the starter cover off and cleaned all connections. Power is coming to the large cable. When i test the small red cable no power when i press the starter button. I'm about to trace that. Looks like it may head towards the alternator chest. In the meantime anybody have any ideas? Thanks

Check all of your connections, particularly grounds, all clean and tight. May be related to the starter relay?

I agree...check the easy stuff first. Unplug/replug the starter relay a few times to clean up any corrosion. What does the battery voltage say when you push the starter button? If it doesn't change much from nominal...say 12.5v...then the relay is not kicking in.

I'm going to add more context to the thread title.

Thanks guys. Where is that relay located? I didn't think that was my thread title.....But I like it! Thanks again

If the solenoid engages but the starter motor fails to turn you will hear a clank but not much else. In this case it is the contacts in the solenoid or a starter motor issue.

But if you don't hear a clank then the solenoid is not engaging, so you need to test and trace the small wire to the solenoid back to the starter button.

Ok. Nothing but silence. Is the starter relay one of the two relays mounted and located just under the front brake master cylinder?

How old is the battery? Sometimes “fully charged” batteries only have a “surface” charge that look good but have nothing behind them.
OM

Yes, the starter relay is the rearmost one on the left side of the frame under the master cylinder. On my own /7, it was the weak link as I was reviving it after it sat for over 30 years. Pulling it and cleaning up the connections was essential.

Back